January 17, 2013
UMass Lowell hosts Providence College on Thursday night on NBC Sports Network
Providence at No. 15 UMass-Lowell (Thursday at the Tsongas Center on NBCSN)
- The River Hawks were victorious in the regular-season series, 2-1, with UML outscoring the Friars by a combined score of 9-4 in the series. PC won the best-of-three quarterfinal series at the Tsongas Center.
- UMass-Lowell's penalty kill has killed off 32 straight penalties.
- Sophomore forward Scott Wilson (Oakville, Ont.) has six points (4g,2a) in his last three games.
- The Friars are now 6-0-1 when leading after one period, 8-1-1 when scoring first.
Northeastern at No. 9 Boston University (Friday at Agganis Arena on NESN)
- BU's Matt Nieto (Long Beach, Calif.) has 10 points (4g,6a) in nine career contests against the Huskies.
- The game features Hockey East's top two rookie scorers in Kevin Roy (9g,11a) and Danny O'Regan (7g,8a).
- In each of the last three seasons, one of the teams ended the other teams season with BU ending NU's season in 2010 and 2012, and NU ending the Terriers' season back in 2011. BU did win the season series last year, 2-1.
Massachusetts at No. 2 Boston College (Friday at Conte Forum)
- The Eagles have won both meetings to date this season on Oct. 19 (5-4 OT) and Nov. 4 (3-2).
- BC's Parker Milner (Pittsburgh, Pa.) stopped 68-of-72 New Hampshire shots (.944 save%) in the two-game split with the Wildcats last weekend and was named the league's Defensive Player of the Week on Monday for this efforts.
Merrimack at Maine - Two-Game Series (Fri., Sat. at Alfond Arena)
- Merrimack owns a 6-2-1 record vs. Maine in the last nine meetings, which includes a 6-0 Warriors' win last Saturday at Lawler Arena. Merrimack was 2-2 in Orono last season, which included a Maine victory in the league quarterfinal series last March.
No. 15 UMass-Lowell at No. 9 Boston University (Saturday at Agganis Arena)
- Connor Hellebuyck (Commerce, Mich.) is 5-0-0 (0.94 GAA and .963 save %) and two shutouts in his last six appearances for the River Hawks.
- BU's Sean Maguire (Powell River, B.C.) ranks seventh nationally in save% (.938) and ninth in GAA (1.83).
No. 2 Boston College at Northeastern (Saturday at Matthews Arena on the Live Well Network)
- Kevin Roy has scored 20 points in 18 games as a rookie. It marks the seventh consecutive season an incoming Husky has scored 20 points in a season. He is the fastest to 20 points as a rookie since Jason Guerriero (01-02).
- The teams have split the two meetings so far with the Eagles winning the last meeting by a 3-0 score on Oct. 20. BC went 8-for-8 on the penalty kill in the victory.
Providence at No. 3 New Hampshire (Saturday at the Whittemore Center)
- Derek Army has 12 points (7g,5a) in Providence's last 11 games.
- Jay Camper, Dan Correale and Matt Willows have 12 points (3G,9a) in the Wildcats last four games.
Vermont vs. Penn State (Saturday at the Wells Fargo Center on CSN- Philadelphia)
- The Catamounts own a 3-3-0 non-conference record this season.
- Chris McCarthy (Collegeville, Pa.) is averaging a point per game over his last 11 contests for the Catamounts.