January 31, 2013
Merrimack College hosts UMass Lowell Friday night on NESN
Vermont at No. 5 Boston College (Friday at Conte Forum)
- The Eagles sweep the three-game league series last season by a combined score of 15 to 2, which included a 4-0 shutout in the last meeting back on March 3rd.
- Boston College's power play is best in the conference at 21.5% (20-93), despite going 1-for-8 last weekend vs. Maine. The Catamounts are 14 for their last 16 (87.5%) on the penalty kill in the last three games after going 6-for-6 on Saturday vs. UMass, the second-best power play in the league.
- Freshman Brody Hoffman (Wilkie, Sask.) has made at least 30+ saves 11 times this season. His 464 saves (27.3 saves/game) in league play is best among Hockey East goaltenders.
Providence at Maine (Friday at Alfond Arena)
- The Friars have won both previous meetings this season at the end of October by scores of 3-2 and 3-0. Freshman Jon Gillies (South Portland, Maine) recorded 53 saves in the two-game series at Schneider Arena, which included Gillies first career shutout. Maine has a 5-0-1 vs. PC in in the last six games at Alfond Arena.
- Martin Ouellette (St.-Hippolyte, Que.) was named Hockey East goaltender of the month as he posted a 3-2-2 record in the month with a 1.82 GAA and a .937 save percentage.
- Ross Mauermann (Janesville, Wis.) now has 10 points (4g,6a) in Providence's last nine games.
No. 9 Boston University at Massachusetts (Friday at the Mullins Center)
- The Terriers won both games in the series in October by 3-2 and 5-2 scores. Freshman forward Danny O'Regan (Needham, Mass.) has four points (2g,2a) in the series.
- Sophomore Steve Mastalerz (N. Andover, Mass.) has started the last four games in net for UMass, posting a 2-2 record with a 2.27 GAA and .903 save percentage. He has allowed two goals or fewer in three of those starts.
No. 12 UMass-Lowell at Merrimack (Friday at Lawler Arena on NESN)
- NESN will provide unprecedented access to a Hockey East locker room in the broadcast on Friday night from Lawler Arena, as NESN cameras will give Hockey East fans an inside look to Merrimack head coach Mark Dennehy's pre-game speech from the Warriors locker room.
- The teams split the three-game series last year with the teams skating to a 2-2 tie in the last meeting on February 25. Mike Collins (Boston, Mass.) scored both goals for the Warriors in the tie. Collins was named Player of the Month Tuesday with 11 points (4g,7a) in seven January games, helping Merrimack to a 4-2-1 record in the month
- Chad Ruhwedel (San Diego, Calif.) has eight points (5g,3a) in his last seven games for the River Hawks.
No. 4 New Hampshire at Northeastern (Friday at Matthews Arena)
- UNH is 1-0-1 vs. the Huskies this year with the teams skating to 0-0 tie back on Oct. 27th at Matthews Arena. NU's Bryan Mountain (Bryn Mawr, Pa.) posted a career-high 44 saves in the game, while UNH's Casey DeSmith (Rochester, N.H.) stopped 34 shots.
- The Wildcats penalty kill ranks first in the nation at 93.4% (71 of 76). UNH is 7-for-7 in the last two games.
Merrimack at No. 4 New Hampshire (Saturday at the Whittemore Center on FCS, WBIN-TV)
- The teams are coming off a two-game series split last weekend. UNH won the last meetings, 6-2, at the Verizon Wireless Arena last Saturday.
No. 12 UMass-Lowell at Maine (Sunday at Alfond Arena)
- The teams split the series in early November at the Tsongas Center. Maine won the last meeting by a 4-3 score.
Martin Ouellette made 27 stops for his first win of the season for the Black Bears.