February 21, 2013
Vermont hosts New Hampshire for a pair of televised games this weekend
No. 12 UMass-Lowell vs. No. 13 Boston University - Two-Game Series (Fri. at BU; Sat. at UML)
- Derek Arnold (Foxboro, Mass.) has five points (3g,2a) in his last two games for the River Hawks and was named Athletic Republic Player of the Week on Monday for his efforts in the weekend sweep of UMass.
- In the Terriers' 12 games since the turn of the new year, nine of them have been decided by a single goal or resulted in a tie.
- BU is 11-4-0 in their last 15 meetings with UMass Lowell, but have lost the last two, something that hadn't happened since dropping four straight meetings from Nov. 10, 2000 - Dec. 1, 2001. UML won its league series with the Terriers last season for the first time since the 2003-04 campaign. The River Hawks won the first meeting of the season back on January 19 by a 4-3 score. Josh Holmstrom (Colorado Springs, Col.) and Scott Wilson (Oakville, Ont.) both had two assists in the game.
Maine at Massachusetts - Two-Game Series (Fri., Sat. at the Mullins Center)
- The teams skated to a 2-2 tie back on November 16 at Alfond Arena. Junior defenseman Conor Allen (Chicago, Ill.) scored the game-tying extra attacker goal with 1:08 left in regulation to earn a point for the Minutemen.
- Joey Diamond (Long Beach, N.Y.) has 12 points (8g,4a) in his last eight games. He is one point shy of 100 career points. He has amassed 57 goals and 42 assists in 129 games for the Black Bears.
- UMass junior forward Branden Gracel (Calgary, Alta.) has seven points (2g,5a) in his five games.
Northeastern vs. Providence - Two-Game Series (Fri. at PC; Sat. at NU)
- The Friars were victorious in the first meeting in the season series back on November 16 by a 6-2 score at Schneider Arena. Junior forward Derek Army (North Kingstown, R.I.) tallied his first career hat rick in the PC win.
- Freshman Jon Gillies (South Portland, Maine) leads league play with 583 saves in 20 starts and he ranks third in both GAA (2.26) and save percentage (.927).
- The Huskies are coming off a 5-4 overtime win on Tuesday night at Massachusetts. Senior forward Robbie Vrolyk (Boylston, Mass.) recorded three points (2g,1a) in the game and Sophomore defenseman Josh Manson (Prince Albert, Sask.) scored his first career goal with 56 seconds left in overtime.
No. 5 New Hampshire at Vermont - Two-Game Series (Fri. on NESN; Sat. on CBSSN at Gutterson Fieldhouse)
- UNH earned a 4-0 shutout in the in the first meeting of the season series on November 10 at the Whittemore Center. Austin Block (Thousand Oaks, Calif.) notched two goals, while Kevin Goumas (Long Beach, N.Y.) registered three assists. Sophomore Casey DeSmith (Rochester, N.H.) totaled 27 stops for his third career shutout.
- Junior defenseman Nick Bruneteau (Omaha, Neb.) is scheduled to play in his 100th career game for the Catamounts on Saturday afternoon vs. UNH. He would become the fourth active Catamount to accomplish the feat.
- Grayson Downing (Abbottsford, B.C.) has 11 points (4G,7a) over the past six games, while UVM's Brody Hoffman (Wilkie, Sask.) has won his last three starts with a 0.67 GAA and .974 save percentage.
No. 4 Boston College at Merrimack (Sunday at Lawler Arena on CBSSN)
- The teams have split the previous two meetings this season with Merrimack winning the last meeting on February 15 in overtime (2-1) at Lawler Arena.
- Merrimack's Sam Marotta (Bridgewater, Mass.) is 4-0-1 in his last five starts with a 1.16 GAA and a .963 save percentage.
- Senior forward Steven Whitney (Reading, Mass.) has seven points (4g,3a) in his last five games for the Eagles.