February 28, 2013
Providence College battles Boston College in a home-and-home series this weekend
No. 4 Boston College vs. Providence - Two-Game Series (Fri. at PC; Sat. at BC on NESN)
- The teams battled to a 3-3 tie back on December 7 at Schneider Arena. Senior Parker Milner (Pittsburgh, Pa.) totaled 34 saves for the Eagles. The tie snapped a 12-game winning streak by Boston College in the series.
- During PC's current seven-game unbeaten streak, Jon Gillies (South Portland, Maine) has a 1.91 GAA and a .941 save percentage.
- Senior forward Steven Whitney (Reading, Mass.) has 20 points (12g,8a) in the third period/OT this season, which leads the nation. He has amassed 20 goals on the season, which ranks tied for second in the country.
Massachusetts at No. 5 New Hampshire - Two-Game Series (Fri., Sat. at the Whittemore Center)
- UMass won the first meeting of the season series on November 2 at the Mullins Center by a 2-1 score in overtime. Darren Rowe (Simi Valley, Calif.) registered his third goal of the season with 1:52 left in the extra frame. UNH has captured the past two season series with Massachusetts by posting a 6-3-1 mark over the last 10 meetings.
- Kevin Goumas (Long Beach, N.Y.) has eight points (2g,6a) in seven career games vs. the Minutemen.
- Junior forward Michael Pereira (West Haven, Conn.) led all league players in the month of February with 11 points (6g,5a) in seven contests for Massachusetts.
Merrimack vs. No. 10 UMass-Lowell - Two-Game Series (Fri. at UML; Sun. at MC on CBSSN)
- The Warriors won the first meeting of the season series on February 1 in a 1-0 shutout. Justin Hussar scored his third goal of the season in the victory. Sam Marotta (Bridgewater, Mass.) made 25 stops in his eighth win of the season for the Warriors.
- Freshman Connor Hellebuyck (Commerce, Mich.) has won all eight of his league starts this season. He has the best GAA (1.45) and save percentage (.942) of any conference goaltender in league play.
- Merrimack's penalty kill has not allowed a power goal at home in 2013 (7 games), going a perfect 28-for-28.
Vermont at Boston University - Two-Game Series (Fri., Sat. at Agganis Arena)
- The Terriers won the first meeting of the season series on November 16, a 6-2 road win at Gutterson Fieldhouse. Sean Maguire had 29 saves in his first career victory. Six different BU players scored goals in the victory. Vermont is 4-4-3 in last 11 trips to Agganis Arena, nine of those games have been decided by one goal or less.
- BU is coming off a 5-2 victory on Tuesday night vs. Merrimack at Agganis Arena. Matt Nieto (Long Beach, Calif.) had a game-high three points (2g,1a). Matt O'Connor (Toronto, Ont.) notched 32 saves in his eighth win of the season.
- Brody Hoffman (Wilkie, Sask.) is 3-1-1 in his last five starts with a 1.38 GAA and a .942 save percentage for the Catamounts. He has allowed one goal or less in four of his five starts.
Northeastern at Maine - Two-Game Series (Fri., Sat. at Alfond Arena)
- The two teams skated to a 1-1 tie on January 11 at Matthews Arena. NU's Chris Rawlings (North Delta, B.C.) notched 42 saves to help the Huskies get a point.
- Four of Maine's top six scorers are freshmen, including leading scorer Devin Shore (Ajax, Ont.). Shore has tallied points in eight of his last nine games.
- Sophomore Josh Manson (Prince Albert, Sask.) torrid offensive pace continued on Feb. 23 against PC. He has now scored goals in the last three games. Those three goals are the first of his career.
- Maine's Jake Rutt (Scarborough, Maine) has 13 career points and seven of them have come in his last six games.