March 7, 2013
UMass Lowell holds the top spot in Hockey East heading into the final weekend
Providence vs. No. 7 UMass-Lowell - Two-Game Series (Fri. at UML; Sat. at PC)
- Providence and UMass Lowell are both vying to become the first team other than Boston College, Boston University, Maine or New Hampshire to win the league's regular season title.
- UMass Lowell is on a nation-best seven-game winning streak, while the Friars have only lost once in their last nine games (4-1-4). Since December 8, the River Hawks own a 17-2-1 record, after starting the season just 4-7-1.
- The River Hawks won the first meeting of the season series by a 2-1 score on January 17. Jon Gillies (South Portland, Maine) notched a career-high 48 saves in the game. Chad Ruhwedel (San Diego, Calif.) had the game's decisive score for UMass-Lowell.
No. 6 Boston College at Vermont - Two-Game Series (Fri., Sat. at Gutterson Fieldhouse)
- Dating back to 2007, Vermont has gone 5-2-2 in the last nine meetings played in Burlington. The Eagles were victorious in the first meeting of the season series on February 1st at Conte Forum. Parker Milner (Pittsburgh, Pa.) totaled 38 saves in his 15th win of the season.
- UVM is 5-3-1 in its last nine games after splitting a series at No. 19 Boston University last weekend. Vermont can automatically secure a spot in the postseason with a win in either game against BC this weekend. A single loss by Maine at New Hampshire or UMass vs. Merrimack in either game this weekend would also guarantee UVM a playoff berth.
Massachusetts vs. Merrimack - Two-Game Series (Fri. at MC; Sat. at UMass)
- Merrimack and Massachusetts are dead even in the all-time series at 36-36-5, the Warriors has won seven straight against UMass at Lawler. Josh Myers (Colorado Sprngs, Col.) scored the game-winner with 5:47 to play as Merrimack defeated UMass 4-2, while outshooting the Minutemen 41-18 in the game on February 10.
- Merrimack's penalty kill streak was snapped at 35 overall and 28 at home in Sunday's loss to Lowell. The Merrimack penalty kill has killed 49 of the last 52 overall (94.2%), dating back to Jan. 19.
- The line of Michael Pereira (West Haven, Conn.), Branden Gracel (Calgary, Alta.) and Conor Sheary (Melrose, Mass.) have skated together in 17 straight games, recording 52 points (24g,28a) in that span.
Maine at No. 4 New Hampshire - Two-Game Series (Fri., Sat. at the Whittemore Center)
- The Wildcats won the first meeting with a 4-0 shutout vs. Maine on November 4 at Alfond Arena. Casey DeSmith (Rochester, N.Y.) posted 42 saves for his third career shutout. UNH is 9-0-0 in its last nine games against Maine at the Whittemore Center.
- UNH's Kevin Goumas (Long Beach, N.Y.) has nine points (4g,5a) in seven career games vs. Maine and DeSmith has posted a 1-2-0 record (2.00 GAA, .942 save%) in three career starts vs. the Black Bears.
- Maine rookie defenseman Ben Hutton (Prescott, Ont.) ranks third on the team in scoring with four goals and nine assists for 13 points. He is currently in the midst of a five-game scoring streak (2g,4a).
Boston University vs. Northeastern - Two-Game Series (Fri. at NU on CBSSN; Sat. at BU)
- Northeastern won the first meeting of the season series on January 18 by a 6-5 marker at Agganis Arena and the Huskies earned a win in the opening round of the Beanpot, 3-2 on Monday, February 4.
- Matt Nieto (Long Beach, Calif.) tallied seven points (6g,1a) in the 2-1 week for the Terriers, including his first career hat trick in Friday's 3-1 victory over Vermont and was named Athletic Republic Co-Player of the Week on Monday.
- Northeastern will honor six members of its senior class on Friday night as part of Senior Night. Vinny Saponari
(Powder Springs, Ga.) needs just one point over the course of the next two games to reach the 100-point mark for