October 10, 2013
Boston College faces off against Michigan on Thursday night to open the season
No. 4 Boston College at No. 10 Michigan (Thursday at Yost Arena), vs. RPI (Sun. at Conte Forum)
- The two head coaches in this matchup, BC's Jerry York and Michigan's Red Berenson, have a combined 1,705 career victories. BC and Michigan are the two youngest teams in Division I this season. On Oct. 1, 2013, the Eagles' average age was 20 years and 58 days, and Michigan's was 20 years and 238 days.
Massachusetts (Fri.), Holy Cross (Sat.) at Boston University (at Agganis Arena)
- BU has not lost at home to UMass since Nov. 9, 2007, a 5-3 Minutemen victory.
- David Quinn makes his coaching debut for BU. He becomes the fifth active Hockey East head coach to lead his alma mater (Norm Bazin, Jim Madigan, Dick Umile, Jerry York).
Sacred Heart (Fri.), Massachusetts (Sat.) at No. 1 UMass Lowell (at Tsongas Center)
- Sophomore Connor Hellebuyck tied a UML single-season record with six shutouts last year.
- The River Hawks took all three meetings with the Mineutemen last season, by a combined score of 17-7.
- UMass recorded at least one win against every league opponent except UML last season.
No. 8 Notre Dame vs. Western Michigan – Two-Game Series (Fri. at ND, Sat. at WMU)
- WMU and Notre Dame have met 84 times, with the Broncos holding a 41-33-10 edge.
- The Fighting Irish are the biggest team in Division I, with an average weight of 200.52 pounds.
No. 12 New Hampshire at IceBreaker Tournament (Fri., Sat. at Minneapolis, Minn.)
- This is the 17th edition of the Ice Breaker, one of the traditional starts to the college hockey season. Hockey East schools have won the IceBreaker nine times in the 16-year history of the event (BC/BU-3, UNH-2, UVM-1).
Merrimack at Denver - Two-Game Series (Fri., Sat. at Magness Arena)
- MC opens their season with six straight non-conference games for the first time since 1992-93, when they started 4-1-1. These two games are the first-ever meetings between the Warriors and Pioneers.
Maine at St. Lawrence - Two-Games Series (Fri., Sat. at Appleton Arena)
- Maine is one of the smallest teams in the nation, in terms of both height and weight. The Black Bears are the second-shortest team in Division I, at an average height of 5'11.46", and third lightest at an average weight of 184.32 pounds.
Northeastern vs. Alabama-Huntsville – Two-Game Series (Fri., Sat. at Matthews Arena)
- The Huskies swept the Chargers last season in a two-game set at Matthews Arena, by scores of 3-0 and 3-1. Northeastern was paced offensively by Kevin Roy's three assists, while NU outshot UAH, 88-44 in the series.
Minnesota State at Providence - Two-Game Series (Fri., Sat. at Schneider Arena)
- Providence has 20 freshmen/sophomores on the roster, the third-highest total in Division I. Last season, freshmen accounted for 38% of PC's goals, and freshman Jon Gillies played 91% of the team's minutes in net.
Vermont at No. 7 North Dakota– Two-Game Series (Fri., Sat. at Engelstad Arena)
- This weekend marks the beginning of Vermont's 50th anniversary season, and it is also the first time in program history that UVM has visited North Dakota.