October 17, 2013
The Big Ten/Hockey East Challenge gets underway this weekend
No. 2 Wisconsin at No. 6 Boston College (Friday at Conte Forum)
- Junior forward Johnny Gaudreau (Carneys Point, N.J.) is one point shy of 100 for his college career. Through 81 games, Gaudreau has 43 goals and 56 assists, including 12 power play goals and 11 game-winning goals.
- BC and Wisconsin last met in the 2010 National Championship at Ford Field in Detroit, when the Eagles blanked the Badgers 5-0 to win their fourth national title.
No. 5 Michigan at No. 13 New Hampshire – Two-Game Series (Fri., Sat. at Whittemore Center)
- In the last meeting, UNH hosted Michigan for their home opener in 2010. The Wildcats threw 48 shots on net in the contest, but the Wolverines went 3-for-3 on the power play and left Durham with a 3-3 tie.
Michigan State at Massachusetts – Two-Game Series (Fri., Sat. at Mullins Center)
- Although the Minutemen scored three goals combined last weekend in losses to BU and UML, all three tallies came on the power play. Last season, 31 of UMass' 93 goals (33.3%) came via the man advantage.
Michigan Tech at No. 4 Notre Dame – Two-Game Series (Fri., Sun. at Compton Family Ice Arena)
- Senior goaltender Steven Summerhays (Anchorage, Alaska) enters this weekend with a career-best shutout streak of 125:06, after posting back-to-back shutouts against Western Michigan to start the season.
- Notre Dame has not faced Michigan Tech since Jan. 18, 2005, the Huskies beat the Irish 6-2.
No. 9 UMass-Lowell vs. No. 14 Quinnipiac – Two-Game Series (Fri. at UML, Sat. at QU)
- UML and QU will square off in a home-and-home that features two teams from last season's Frozen Four.
- Saturday night will be the River Hawks' first road game of the season. In 19 road games last year, Norm Bazin's squad went 13-5-1, scoring 3.73 goals per game and allowing 2.42 goals per game.
American International vs. No. 10 Providence (Saturday at Schneider Arena)
- In Saturday night's shutout of Minnesota State, sophomore Jon Gillies (South Portland, Maine) made 38 saves, including 20 in the first period. Of those 20 saves in the opening frame, 11 came while PC was shorthanded.
Rensselaer (Fri.), No. 2 Wisconsin (Sat.) at Boston University (at Agganis Arena)
- BU and RPI met last season at Agganis Arena on Jan. 4, when the Terriers came from behind to take a 3-2 overtime win. Cason Hohmann (Arlington, Texas) netted the game-winner 2:56 into the extra frame.
Bentley at Maine (Saturday at Alfond Arena)
- Maine senior alternate captain Mark Anthoine (Lewiston, Maine) has currently played in 95 consecutive games for the Black Bears, the longest stretch on the Maine team.
Mercyhurst at Merrimack – Two-Game Series (Fri., Sat. at Lawler Rink)
- Last week at Denver it took the Pioneers 94:56 of game time before registering an even-strength goal. It was the first time in program history that the team was shutout in back-to-back games.
Northeastern vs. Holy Cross – Two-Game Series (Fri. at HC, Sat. at NU)
- The Huskies are looking to start their season 3-0-0 for the first time since 1993-94, when NU began the year 4-0-0 under third-year Head Coach Ben Smith. The '93-'94 squad went 19-12-8 and advanced to the NCAA Tournament.