January 23, 2014
Northeastern heads to Notre Dame for two games this weekend
#8 UMass Lowell vs. #7 Providence – Two-Game Series (Fri. at Schneider Arena, Sat. at Tsongas Center)
- This matchup features two of the top three goalies in the country ranked by save percentage. UML's Connor Hellebuyck (Commerce, Mich.) is first in Division I with a .946 save percentage, while PC's Jon Gillies (South Portland, Maine) is third with a mark of .936.
- The River Hawks took two of three meetings against the Friars last season, paced offensively by Derek Arnold (Foxboro, Mass.), who had three assists in those three games.
Merrimack vs. Massachusetts – Two-Game Series (Fri. at Mullins Center, Sat. at Lawler Arena)
- MC senior forward Mike Collins (Boston, Mass.) carries a six-game point streak into this weekend, with five goals and two assists. He also has scored a goal in four consecutive games for the Warriors.
- UMass senior forward Conor Sheary (Melrose, Mass.) has not been assessed a penalty in 24 games played this year, which is the most games played without a penalty among Hockey East skaters (second is Maine's Will Merchant with 14 games played).
Maine vs. New Hampshire – Two-Game Series (Fri. at Whittemore Center, Sat. at Alfond Arena)
- The Black Bears are tied with Mercyhurst for the national lead in shorthanded goals, with eight on the season. Devin Shore (Ajax, Ont.) has three SHG on the year, while Steven Swavely (Reading, Pa.) and Mark Anthoine (Lewiston, Maine) each have two, and defenseman Ben Hutton (Prescott, Ont.) has one of his own.
- UNH senior forward Kevin Goumas (Lake Worth, Fla.) has five goals and five assists for ten points in nine career games against Maine.
Vermont at Boston University – Two-Game Series (Fri., Sat. at Agganis Arena)
- Saturday night's game will be the third stop on Hockey East's Road to the TD Garden Tour, where fans will be able to take a picture with the Lamoriello Trophy and enter to win tickets to the 30th Annual Hockey East Championship.
- In Vermont's last eight games (4-2-2 record), freshman forward Mario Puskarich (Fort Walton Beach, Fla.) has five goals and six assists for eleven points.
- BU took the season series against UVM last year two games to one, with Danny O'Regan (Needham, Mass.) recording four assists in those three games.
#11 Northeastern at #15 Notre Dame – Two-Game Series (Fri., Sat. at Compton Family Ice Arena)
- NU senior forward Braden Pimm (Fort St. John, B.C.) has tallied 15 goals in 24 games this season, an average of 0.56 goals per game, after coming into this season with 22 goals in 102 career games (0.22 goals per game).
- The Irish enter this weekend on a four-game winning streak, during which they have outscored their opponents 22-6. Sophomore forward Mario Lucia (Plymouth, Minn.) is currently on a seven-game point streak, with six goals and five assists for eleven points.
#2 Boston College at Penn State – Saturday at Pegula Ice Arena
- BC's line of Johnny Gaudreau (Carneys Point, N.J.), Bill Arnold (Needham, Mass.) and Kevin Hayes (Dorchester, Mass.) all find themselves in the top ten in scoring in Division I. Gaudreau is first, averaging 2.00 points per game (21-27-48 totals), Hayes is third at 1.79 PPG (17-26-43), and Arnold is tied for ninth at 1.38 PPG (8-25-33).