January 9, 2014
NU, UML, BU and Maine await Saturday's Frozen Fenway event
#6 Providence at #4 Boston College — Friday Night
- A battle of Top Ten national powers. The Friars lost a tough one Tuesday night at home when Northeastern took a 2-1 victory at Schneider. The Eagles come into this one still high off last week's 4-3 win over Notre Dame at Fenway.
Northeastern vs. #8 UMass Lowell — Saturday at Frozen Fenway (NESN)
- The Huskies have only lost once in their last 10 games (6-1-3) and took down #6 Providence on the road Tuesday. The River Hawks enter on a 9-1-1 streak. Does NU crack the national Top 15 with a "W"?
Boston University vs. Maine — Saturday at Frozen Fenway (NESN)
- The Terriers will have revenge on their minds as they took a 7-0 drubbing at Maine on November 15. BU also looks to end a 5-game winless streak while Maine is 4-1-1 in its last six.
Massachusetts at #12 Cornell – Friday Night
- The Minutemen and Big Red last faced off on Dec. 29, 2011 at the Florida College Classic in Estero, Fla., with UMass winning 5-2. Conor Sheary (Melrose, Mass.) had two goals and an assist in the win, while Branden Gracel (Calgary, Alberta) added two assists.
Alabama-Huntsville at Notre Dame – Two-Game Series (Friday Game on NBCSN)
- This will be the second visit of the season to Compton Family Ice Arena for the Chargers. Notre Dame beat UAH 5-2 on Nov. 29 as part of the Shillelagh Tournament, getting three points apiece from T.J. Tynan (Orland Park, Ill.), Robbie Russo (Westmont, Ill.), and Bryan Rust (Novi, Mich.).
Merrimack at #11 Clarkson – Two-Game Series
- Warriors goaltender Rasmus Tirronen (Espoo, Finland) currently has a goals against average of 1.87, which is 0.31 goals/game fewer than Joe Cannata's single-season school record GAA of 2.18, set in 2011-12. His .930 save percentage also matches the team single-season record set in 1995-96 by Jim McNiff (now the goalie coach at Providence.)
#4 Boston College at Brown – Saturday at 5:00
- Saturday night's matchup will likely be the 100th collegiate game for BC's Johnny Gaudreau (Carney's Point, N.J.), who has 59 goals, including 16 game-winners, and 71 assists for 130 points in his three seasons in Chestnut Hill.
New Hampshire vs. Dartmouth at the Verizon Arena in Manchester, NH – Saturday at 5:00
- This will be the 55th all-time meeting between the Wildcats and the Big Green, with UNH holding a 33-19-2 advantage over their intrastate rivals thus far. Dartmouth upended New Hampshire 4-1 last year at the Ledyard Bank Classic in Hanover, N.H.
Vermont at Colgate – Saturday Night
- The Catamounts are entering the second of eight straight road games, the longest such stretch for any team in Hockey East in 2013-14. Their string of road contests follows nine straight games at home, going 6-1-2 in those games.