March 20, 2014
The Lamoriello Trophy will be raised on Saturday night at TD Garden
(2) UMass Lowell vs. (8) Notre Dame
Fri. March 21, 5pm at TD Garden (TV-NESN, NBCSN)
Season Series: UML won, 2-0-0
All-Time Series: UML leads, 2-0-0
UMass Lowell Record: 23-10-4 (2-1-0 Neutral)
Notre Dame Record: 23-13-2 (0-1-0 Neutral)
- The River Hawks head to the TD Garden looking to defend their 2013 Hockey East Tournament crown. While UML mustered just three goals combined in last year's semifinals and final, then-freshman goalie Connor Hellebuyck (Commerce, Mich.) stopped 70-of-71 shots in those two games en route to earning Tournament MVP honors. Senior forward Derek Arnold (Foxboro, Mass.) had the lone goal in last year's championship game, a 1-0 win over Boston University in Jack Parker's final game behind the BU bench.
- Notre Dame comes into their first-ever Hockey East semifinals with an 8-1-1 record over their last ten games, including three wins at Conte Forum over Boston College. Senior forward T.J. Tynan (Orland Park, Ill.) has six assists through four playoff games this season to lead the Irish, while senior forward Bryan Rust (Novi, Mich.) has contributed four goals and an assist for five points in the postseason. ND won last year's CCHA Tournament, and they are looking to become the first team in college hockey history to win back-to-back titles in different conferences.
(3) Providence vs. (4) New Hampshire
Fri. March 21, 8pm at TD Garden (TV-NESNplus, NBCSN)
Season Series: Split, 1-1-0
All-Time Series: UNH leads, 84-55-15
Providence Record: 21-9-6 (0-1-1 Neutral)
New Hampshire Record: 21-17-1 (3-1-0 Neutral)
- Providence is 5-2-1 against New Hampshire over the last two seasons, including taking two-of-three in a quarterfinal series at Schneider Arena. Sophomore forward Nick Saracino (St. Louis, Mo.) has had the most success of any Friar against UNH, with seven goals and five assists for 12 points in six career matchups. Assuming he plays on Friday night, PC senior forward Derek Army (North Kingstown, R.I.) will break the team record for consecutive games played, by appearing in his 147th straight game. Derek's father Tim Army holds the program record for career games played, with 151.
- UNH is making their first trip to TD Garden since 2011, when they lost in the semifinals to Merrimack, by a score of 4-1. The Wildcats are also looking for their first semifinal win since beating UMass 3-2 in double-overtime in 2007. In last weekend's Game Three triumph over Northeastern, UNH senior forward Kevin Goumas (Long Beach, N.Y.) posted the second hat trick of his career, and his four points in the game pushed his total to 50 points on the season. He's the first player to post 50 points for the 'Cats since Paul Thompson had 52 in 2010-11. 30th Annual Hockey East Championship
Sat. March 22, 7pm at TD Garden (TV-NESN/NESNplus, NBCSN)