March 27, 2014
Providence College will be in NCAA action on Friday
(1) Boston College vs. (4) Denver
Sat. March 29, 4pm at DCU Center (TV-ESPNU)
All-Time Series: DU leads, 14-11-0
Last Meeting: Oct. 14, 2011 – DU 4 at BC 2
Boston College Record: 27-6-4 (16-2-2 Hockey East)
Denver Record: 20-15-6 (10-11-3 NCHC)
- Boston College's national title runs in 2001, 2008, 2010, and 2012 all started with the Eagles playing the regional round in Worcester. This season, the Eagles missed out on the Hockey East Semifinals for the first time since 2004, a year in which they went on to reach the Frozen Four.
(2) UMass Lowell vs. (3) Minnesota State
Sat. March 29, 7:30pm at DCU Center (TV-ESPN3)
All-Time Series: UML leads, 4-3-0
Last Meeting: Oct. 15, 2011 – UML 4 at MSU 1
UMass Lowell Record: 25-10-4 (11-6-3 Hockey East)
Minnesota State Record: 26-13-1 (20-7-1 WCHA)
- UMass Lowell is making their third-straight NCAA Tournament appearance under third-year Head Coach Norm Bazin. In their previous 27 Division I seasons prior to Bazin's arrival, the River Hawks made three total NCAA appearances (1988, 1994, 1996).
(2) Notre Dame vs. (3) St. Cloud State
Sat. March 29, 9pm at Xcel Energy Center (TV-ESPNU)
All-Time Series: SCSU leads, 6-5-0
Last Meeting: March 30, 2013 – SCSU 5 vs. ND 1
Notre Dame Record: 23-14-2 (9-9-2 Hockey East)
St. Cloud State Record: 21-10-5 (15-6-3 NCHC)
- The Irish have now made the NCAA Tournament for the sixth time in the past eight seasons, and they are trying to make it to the Frozen Four for the third time (2008, 2011). ND will be looking to avenge their 5-1 loss to St. Cloud State in last season's NCAA Regionals in Toledo, Ohio.
(2) Quinnipiac vs. (3) Providence
Fri. March 28, 2pm at Webster Bank Arena (TV-ESPNU)
All-Time Series: PC leads, 3-2-1
Last Meeting: Nov. 27, 2013 – PC 3 at QU 3
Quinnipiac Record: 24-9-6 (12-6-4 ECAC)
Providence Record: 21-10-6 (11-7-2 Hockey East)
- The Friars return to the NCAA Tournament for the first time since 2001, looking to advance to the Frozen Four for the first time since 1985. PC and QU skated to a 3-3 tie on Nov. 27, when Providence sophomore goaltender Jon Gillies (South Portland, Maine) turned aside 45 Bobcat shots.
(1) Union vs. (4) Vermont
Fri. March 28, 5:30pm at Webster Bank Arena (TV-ESPNU)
All-Time Series: UVM leads, 18-10-2
Last Meeting: Dec. 29, 2012 – Union 1 at UVM 2
Union Record: 28-6-4 (18-3-1 ECAC)
Vermont Record: 20-14-3 (10-10-0 Hockey East)
- The V-Cats are making their third NCAA Tournament appearance under Head Coach Kevin Sneddon, and first since 2010. Sneddon coached at Union from 1998 to 2003, when he came to Vermont.