Junior forward Adam Shemansky nets two goals for Black Bears

Junior forward Adam Shemansky scored two goals for the Black Bears

PORTLAND, Maine -- The University of Maine men's ice hockey team defeated Clarkson 4-3 on Saturday night at the Cumberland County Civic Center in Portland, Maine. Matt Mangene (Miller Place, N.Y.) scored the game-winning goal with four seconds remaining in the second period. Maine improves to 4-6-2 on the season. Clarkson falls to 7-5-2 on the year.

Maine took a 1-0 lead just 4:10 into the game with a short-handed goal. Brice O'Connor (Londonderry, NH.) went to clear the puck out of the Maine zone. Stu Higgins (Troy, Mich.) was able to get the puck away for the Clarkson defender on the blueline and outraced him to the other end of the ice. Higgins then shot the puck past Clarkson goalie Paul Karpowich for his second goal of the season.

Clarkson tied the game at 1-1 when Nick Tremblay passed the puck to Louke Oakley. Oakley had his shot find the upper right corner of the net, beating Maine goalie Dan Sullivan (York, Pa.) Sam Labrecque also assisted on the goal.

Maine grabbed the lead back when Karpowich went to play the puck behind the goal. Kyle Beattie (Avondale, Ariz.) got a stick on it to Mangene on the boards. He saw that Karpowich was still out of the goal and fired a pass to Adam Shemansky (Robbinsville, N.J.) who was just outside the crease. Shemansky back handed the puck into the net and past a Clarkson defender. Maine took the 2-1 lead into the first intermission.

Maine extended its lead to 3-1 1:13 into the second period with a power play goal. Spencer Abbott (Hamilton, Ontario) found Shemansky in the bottom of the right face-off circle. He one-timed a puck past Karpowich from an odd angle.

The Golden Knights pulled to within one goal at 4:42 when Sullivan went behind the net to play the puck. Corey Tamblyn was able to win the puck and pass to Jake Morley in front who shot the puck into the empty net.

Clarkson tied the score at 3-3 at 9:30 of the second period. Labrecque fed Allan McPherson who wristed a shot past Sullivan from the right face-off circle.

Maine regained the lead with just four seconds remaining in the second period. On the power play, Matt Mangene had a shot from the blueline that deflected off a Clarkson defender and into the goal. Nick Pryor (Woodbury, Minn.) and Mark Anthoine (Lewiston, Maine) both assisted on the goal.

Maine outshot Clarkson 37-33 in the game. The Black Bears were 2-for-7 on the power play, while Clarkson had one goal in five chances with the man advantage.

Maine goalie Sullivan made 30 saves. He improves to 3-3-2 on the season. Karpowich made 33 saves for the Golden Knights. He improves to 7-5-2.

The Black Bears return to action on Friday, Dec. 2 when they travel to Vermont for a two-game series with the Catamounts.