Sophomore defenseman Josh Manson scores at 4:04 of overtime for Huskies

Sophomore defenseman Josh Manson scored the game-winning goal for the Huskies

AMHERST, Mass. - Despite getting three points from junior Michael Pereira, the UMass hockey team was unable to hold off Northeastern, falling 5-4 in overtime on Tuesday night at the Mullins Center. Following the contest, which featured a combined 84 shots between the squads, the Minutemen are now 10-16-2 overall, 7-13-1 in Hockey East, while the Huskies move to 9-16-3 overall and 5-13-3 in conference play.

Eight UMass players combined for the squad's 12 points on the night, paced by Pereira's pair of goals and an assist. The junior extended his scoring streak to six games and has seven goals and five assists during that span. Junior Colin Shea also had a multi-point night, registering a pair of helpers for his third multi-point game of the season.

The Minutemen began the evening with a 1-0 lead courtesy of a power-play goal by freshman Shane Walsh 6:19 into the first period. Down low to the right of the net, Pereira snapped a quick pass from Patrick Kiley over to Walsh for a tap in at the opposite post.

Northeastern responded, though, with an extra-man tally of its own just 2:01 later. Robbie Vrolyk and Mike McMurtry set up the score by Adam Reid from close range.

With the period winding down, Pereira regained the lead for UMass with the squad's second power-play goal of the frame. Pereira finished off a feed from Shea and junior Adam Phillips at the doorstep 19:30 into the stanza.

Then early in the second, Darren Rowe gave the Minutemen a two-goal edge at the 2:04 mark. After freshman K.J. Tiefenwerth won the puck in the neutral zone, redshirt sophomore Steven Guzzo connected with Rowe for a shot from the right faceoff circle.

However, with goals 10:24 and 16:28 into the period, the Huskies erased the deficit to pull level with the Minutemen, 3-3. Vrolyk notched Northeastern's second of the night, while Cody Ferriero recorded a power-play goal for his 10th tally of the season.

Another late goal gave UMass back the lead heading into the second intermission. Junior Conor Sheary and Shea advanced the puck to Pereira who scored his 12th of the year on a partial breakaway at the 18:53 mark.

The Huskies went on to force overtime with another goal from Vrolyk, snapped high past Minuteman netminder Steve Mastalerz 13:07 into the third.

With UMass coming off a successful penalty kill in the extra frame, an offensive zone turnover resulted in a counter attack by Northeastern. Mike Gunn and McMurtry assisted Josh Manson's game-winner with 56 seconds remaining in the overtime period.

The Huskies finished the night with a 45-39 shot advantage, including a 6-0 margin in overtime. Mastalerz totaled 40 saves for UMass, while Chris Rawlings and Bryan Mountain split time for Northeastern and logged 28 and seven stops, respectively. The Minutemen won 32 of 61 faceoffs on the evening.

UMass will be back in action with a pair of home games against Maine this Friday and Saturday, Feb. 22-23, both set for 7 p.m. starts at the Mullins Center.