New Hampshire Edged By Clarkson, 4-3

Senior forward Kyle Smith had a goal and an assist for the Wildcats
Prd Time  Team Score Type Scored By Assists
1st 17:41  CLK1-0 PP A.J. Fossen (3)Sam Vigneault/3, Kelly Summers/2
2nd 4:09  CLK2-0 PS Troy Josephs (1) -
2nd 4:27  UNH1-2 PP Kyle Smith (1)Cameron Marks/2, Matias Cleland/2
2nd 8:48  UNH2-2 PP Maxim Gaudreault (3)John Furgele/2, Kyle Smith/2
3rd 4:11  CLK3-2 EV Jordan Boucher (2) -
3rd 10:03  UNH3-3 EV Matt Dawson (2)Harry Quast/1, Shane Eiserman/2
3rd 19:18  CLK4-3 EV GW Jeff Di Nallo (1)James de Haas/4, Marly Quince/1
Scoring 1st 2nd 3rd Final
Clarkson  1124
New Hampshire  0213
Shots on Goal 1st 2nd 3rd SOG
Clarkson  1191131
New Hampshire  911828
Team Stats and Records  PP PIM SHGF
Clarkson (3-1-0)  1/3 11/22 0
New Hampshire (1-2-0)  2/7 9/18 0
Clarkson Goaltending MIN GA 1 2 3 Saves
Steve Perry (W, 3-1-0)60:003 99725
New Hampshire Goaltending MIN GA 1 2 3 Saves
Daniel Tirone (L, 1-2-0)59:184 108927
Empty Net0:420     

DURHAM, N.H. - The University of New Hampshire men's hockey team fell by a score of 4-3 Saturday night against Clarkson University at the Whittemore Center. Seniors Kyle Smith (Lumberton, N.J.) and Maxim Gaudreault (Annapolis, Md.) as well as freshman Matt Dawson (Delta, British Columbia) scored for the Wildcats.

The loss sets the 'Cats at 1-2-0 on the season while the Golden Knights improve to 3-1-0. The next home game for the Wildcats is Nov. 20 against the University of Massachusetts. Tickets are available by visiting the Whittemore Center Ticket Office during regular business hours or by calling the ticket office at (603) 862-4000 extension 5.

Senior defenseman Harry Quast (Mullica Hills, N.J.) fired the first shot of the game for either team as he ripped a wrister from the slot through traffic that Clarkson netminder Steve Perry saved.

Clarkson nearly got on the board at the five minute mark of the first period as Jordan Boucher fired a shot from the right faceoff circle that hit the post. The rebound bounced away from play.

Sophomore netminder Danny Tirone (Trumbull, Conn.) came up with a pair of huge saves with just over five minutes to play in the period. The play started as Ben Dalpe skated in a played a shot on net that Tirone saved. He then made a split-save on the rebound attempt by Todd Christian to keep the Golden Knights off the board.

Clarkson took a 1-0 lead at the 17:41 mark of the first period on a power play goal by A.J. Fossen. The play started with Kelly Summers firing a shot that was blocked by junior forward Jamie Hill (Glassboro N.J.). Summers got the puck back and played it to Fossen behind the net. Fossen sent a pass to Sam Vigneault along the boards who returned the puck to Fossen on the back door for the goal.

At the end of the first period, Clarkson held a 1-0 lead as well as an 11-9 advantage in shots.

Troy Josephs gave the Golden Knights a 2-0 lead after a penalty shot goal. The opportunity came after Dawson was called for hooking Josephs on a breakaway. Josephs came in on his penalty shot to the left of Tirone and shot it blocker side. Tirone got a good chunk of the shot, but it trickled through and into the net.

The Wildcats responded with a power play goal just 18 seconds later as Smith registered his first goal of the season. Junior defenseman Matias Cleland (Longmont, Colo.) played a pass over to sophomore counterpart Cameron Marks (North Vancouver, British Columbia) at the point. Marks fired a shot on net that Smith redirected past Perry and into the net.

At 8:48 of the second period, Gaudreault potted his third goal of the season to tie the game at 2-2. Smith initiated the play as he saucered the puck to sophomore defenseman John Furgele (Glen Mills, Pa.) just inside of the blueline. Furgele fired a shot that Perry made a save on, but Gaudreault was waiting for the rebound and shoved it into the goal.

At the end of the second period, the score was deadlocked at 2-2.

Sophomore forward Warren Foegele (Unionville, Ontatio) nearly gave the Wildcats the lead at the 2:33 mark of the third period as he gathered the puck behind the net and made a diving wraparound attempt, but Perry made the save on the shot.

Clarkson took a 3-2 lead at the 4:11 mark of the third period on a goal by Boucher. Boucher picked up a loose puck in the neutral zone and attempted to pass it, but it was deflected back to him by a UNH stick. He corralled the puck and then fired it into the net.

The Wildcats remained resilient and notched the game at 3-3 at 10:03 in the third period on a goal by Dawson. Sophomore forward Shane Eiserman (Newburyport, Mass.) started the play with a pass to Quast from behind the net. Quast fired a shot that bounced off a Clarkson defenseman and over to Dawson. Dawson ripped the puck on net through traffic that sailed into the top corner.

With 42 seconds left in regulation, Clarkson's Jeff DiNallo gave the Golden Knights a 4-3 lead. Marly Quince and James de Haas registered assists on the play.

At the end of the third, the score was finalized at 4-3. Tirone made 27 saves in net for the Wildcats on 31 shots faced. His record now stands at 1-2-0. Perry made 25 saves on 28 shots faced from New Hampshire's offense as his record improves to 3-1-0.

With its two power play goals, New Hampshire went 2-for-7 on the advantage while Clarkson was 1-for-3.

The Wildcats return to the ice on Friday, Oct. 23 as they take on the University of Massachusetts Minutemen at the Mullins Center at 7 p.m. The Wildcats are not home again until Nov. 20 when they conclude the season series with UMass.