|1st||3:08||NOE||1-0||EV GW||Lincoln Griffin (2)||Brendan Collier/3, Sam Kurker/5|
|1st||10:57||NOE||2-0||EV||Sam Kurker (3)||Lincoln Griffin/1, Brendan Collier/4|
|3rd||18:25||NOE||3-0||EV EN||Mike McMurtry (3)||Adam Gaudette/3, Tanner Pond/1|
|Shots on Goal||1st||2nd||3rd||SOG|
|Team Stats and Records||PP||PIM||SHGF|
|St. Lawrence (10-6-2)||0/1||3/6||0|
|Ryan Ruck (W, 2-9-3)||60:00||0||7||12||5||24|
|St. Lawrence Goaltending||MIN||GA||1||2||3||Saves|
|Kyle Hayton (L, 10-5-1)||59:52||2||6||7||15||28|
CANTON, N.Y. - Backstopped by 24 saves from freshman goaltender Ryan Ruck, the Northeastern men's ice hockey team (4-12-4) put together its most complete effort of the season on Friday night, blanking No. 13 St. Lawrence 3-0 at Appleton Arena.
The Huskies scored twice in the first period with tallies coming from Lincoln Griffin and Sam Kurker before Mike McMurtry added an empty net goal late in regulation to seal the victory. At the other end, Ruck was good from start to finish, with his best save coming during a 12-stop second period to
Northeastern outshot the Saints 31-24 in the game, including a 16-5 advantage in the third to keep St. Lawrence quiet in its attempt to climb back into the game. NU also 26-of-50 face-offs, including a 10-of-16 night from Gaudette, and was 0-of-3 on the power play. The Huskies limited St. Lawrence's attempt on the man advantage throughout the evening, taking just one penalty and holding the Saints to just two shots.
- Griffin put the Huskies up 1-0 three minutes into the game on a great individual effort throughout his shift. After Griffin intercepted a dump in chance from the Saints, he sent the puck up to Kurker at the attacking blue line. Kurker then fired a pass to Brendan Collier as NU began to cycle, with the puck ending up on the stick of Griffin. His first wraparound bid was stopped by Hayton, but Griffin followed his own rebound and roofed it for his second of the season.
- Northeastern went up by two at the tail end of a power play opportunity as Kurker ripped a one-timer from the slot off a pass from Griffin at the left side for his third of the season and second in as many games.
- McMurtry iced the game for the Huskies with 1:35 remaining in regulation when he buried an empty net goal, taking a pass from Adam Gaudette after Tanner Pond was able to rim the puck out of danger in the Husky zone.
Stats of the game:
- Northeastern is now 17-14-3 all-time against St. Lawrence.
- Dustin Darou returned to the lineup on Friday after missing the first 19 games of the season with a lower body injury.
The road ahead:
- Northeastern and St. Lawrence will meet again tomorrow night in the series finale at Appleton Arena. Puck drop is slated for 7 p.m.