|1st||9:19||NDM||1-0||EV||Jake Evans (11)||Cam Morrison/9|
|1st||16:39||BU||1-1||EV||Patrick Harper (12)||Clayton Keller/19, Bobo Carpenter/15|
|2nd||18:33||NDM||2-1||EV GW||Ben Ostlie (1)||Mike O'Leary/2, Tory Dello/10|
|3rd||17:25||NDM||3-1||EV||Jake Evans (12)||Anders Bjork/25, Andrew Oglevie/17|
|Shots on Goal||1st||2nd||3rd||SOG|
|Team Stats and Records||PP||PIM||SHGF|
|Notre Dame (19-9-5)||0/2||3/6||0|
|Boston University (20-10-3)||0/2||3/6||0|
|Notre Dame Goaltending||MIN||GA||1||2||3||Saves|
|Cal Petersen (W, 19-9-5)||59:49||1||4||10||23||37|
|Boston University Goaltending||MIN||GA||1||2||3||Saves|
|Jake Oettinger (L, 17-9-3)||57:55||3||9||9||5||23|
BOSTON - The No. 13/14 Boston University men's ice hockey team dropped a 3-1 contest to visiting Notre Dame on Friday as the No. 13/14 Irish scored once in each period to tighten the Hockey East race.
Final Score: #13/14 Notre Dame 3, #6/5 Boston University 1
Records: BU (20-10-3, 12-6-3 Hockey East), Notre Dame (19-9-5, 12-5-4 Hockey East)
Location: Agganis Arena - Boston, Mass.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- After each team scored in the opening period, Notre Dame found the back of the net towards the end of each of the final two periods to claim the opener of the weekend series.
- The Terriers threw 23 shots on goal in the final stanza but could not get another past Irish netminder Cal Petersen, who stopped 37 shots on the night.
- Notre Dame's Jake Evans opened the scoring at 9:19 of the first with his first of two goals on the night.
- The Terriers got an equalizer just over seven minutes later when a shot attempt by freshman Clayton Keller went off classmate Patrick Harper and in.
- Ben Ostlie provided the game-winner with 1:27 left in the second period when he deposited a rebound in the low slot to give the Irish the lead for good.
- With BU peppering the net in the third, the Irish created a 2-on-1 rush to put the game away as Anders Bjork fed Evan, whose shot went off Oettinger's blocker then off the left post before going in with 2:35 to play.
- The Terriers held a 38-26 shot advantage despite only putting six shots on goal in the opening period.
- Both teams went 0-for-2 on the power play.
- Sophomore Bobo Carpenter extended his career-best point streak to eight games with an assist on Harper's goal.
- Senior captain Doyle Somerby blocked a game-high five shots.
- Keller matched his career high in shots with eight.
- The teams will wrap up the regular season on Saturday (Feb. 25) in the series finale.
- The Terriers will honor their senior class in a pregame ceremony beginning at 7 p.m.
- A win will allow BU to clinch the Hockey East regular-season title in a three-way tie with UMass Lowell and Boston College. UML would win the tiebreaker and BU would be the No. 2 seed in that scenario.
- A loss or tie would give the Terriers the No. 4 seed for the league tournament.