|1st||19:32||BU||1-0||EV||Jakob Forsbacka Karlsson (7)||-|
|2nd||11:33||BU||2-0||EV||Jakob Forsbacka Karlsson (8)||Kieffer Bellows/3, Patrick Harper/14|
|2nd||13:52||BU||3-0||PP||Charlie McAvoy (3)||Clayton Keller/9, Patrick Harper/15|
|2nd||16:55||UMA||1-3||EV||Griff Jeszka (6)||Ivan Chukarov/4|
|3rd||8:21||UMA||2-3||SH||Ray Pigozzi (4)||Steven Iacobellis/8|
|3rd||14:51||BU||4-2||EV GW||Chad Krys (2)||Jordan Greenway/11, Bobo Carpenter/8|
|3rd||15:39||BU||5-2||EV||Gabriel Chabot (2)||Nick Roberto/5, Dante Fabbro/4|
|3rd||19:08||UMA||3-5||EV EA||Steven Iacobellis (5)||Austin Plevy/8|
|Shots on Goal||1st||2nd||3rd||SOG|
|Team Stats and Records||PP||PIM||SHGF|
|Boston University (12-5-2)||1/5||6/12||0|
|Boston University Goaltending||MIN||GA||1||2||3||Saves|
|Jake Oettinger (W, 9-5-2)||60:00||3||8||12||6||26|
|Ryan Wischow (L, 4-10-2)||58:30||5||8||8||9||25|
BOSTON - Sophomore Jakob Forsbacka Karlsson scored the game's first two goals, helping the No. 5 Boston University men's ice hockey team post a 5-3 victory over Massachusetts at Capital One Frozen Fenway on Sunday afternoon at the home of the Boston Red Sox.
Final Score: #5 Boston University 5, Massachusetts 3
Records: BU (12-5-2, 5-2-2 Hockey East), Massachusetts (5-15-2, 2-8-1 Hockey East)
Location: Fenway Park - Boston, Mass.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- After scoring the game-tying and overtime tallies in Thursday's win over No. 10 Union, Forsbacka Karlsson picked up where he left off, scoring the lone goal of the opening period before pushing the lead to 2-0 midway through the second.
- Fellow sophomore Charlie McAvoy converted on a power play at 13:52 of the middle stanza to push the lead to 3-0.
- UMass would get on the board before the end of the second, however, as Griff Jeszka's shot from below the goal line went off BU netiminder Jake Oettinger and in with 3:05 left in the period.
- A shorthanded goal by Ray Pigozzi cut the Terriers' lead to 5-3 at 8:21 of the third, but that's as close as the Minutemen would get as freshmen Chad Krys and Gabriel Chabot scored 48 seconds apart to regain a three-goal edge at 5-2.
- Steven Iacobellis created the 5-3 final with a goal in the final minute of regulation.
- BU has now won its past seven meetings with the Minutemen and is 15-2-3 against them since the beginning of 2010.
- The Terriers held a 30-29 shot advantage and got a 26-save performance from Oettinger.
- Freshman Patrick Harper earned a pair of assists while six other Terriers recorded one helper each.
- All six BU skaters who competed in the World Junior Championship recorded at least one point.
- The Terriers went 1-for-5 on the power play and successfully killed off all six of UMass' chances with the man advantage, including two 5-on-3 opportunities.
- Ryan Wischow turned in a 25-save effort in goal for UMass.
- BU opened the scoring for the fifth straight game after giving up the initial tally in each of the four previous contests.
- BU now stands in fourth place in the Hockey East standings with 12 points.
- The Terriers are now 2-1-0 all-time at Fenway Park.
- The Terriers now turn their attention to next weekend's home-and-home series with archival and eighth-ranked Boston College.
- The series opener will take place at Agganis Arena on Friday (Jan. 13) at 7:30 p.m. before the teams meet again three days later in Chestnut Hill.