|1st||3:10||BU||1-0||PP||Shane Switzer (3)||Brien Diffley/1, Nick Roberto/4|
|1st||8:51||BU||2-0||EV||Jakob Forsbacka Karlsson (4)||Bobo Carpenter/6, Ryan Cloonan/1|
|1st||13:57||UNI||1-2||EV||Luc Brown (3)||Nick DeSimone/5|
|1st||17:05||UNI||2-2||EV||Cole Maier (8)||Brett Supinksi/14, Luc Brown/4|
|2nd||7:54||UNI||3-2||PP||Sebastian Vidmar (9)||Spencer Foo/22, Mike Vecchione/20|
|2nd||11:13||BU||3-3||EV||Bobo Carpenter (5)||-|
|2nd||15:52||UNI||4-3||PP||Brett Supinksi (3)||Sebastian Vidmar/14, Mike Vecchione/21|
|3rd||17:06||BU||4-4||PP||Jakob Forsbacka Karlsson (5)||Brandon Hickey/6, Chad Krys/3|
|OT||2:51||BU||5-4||EV GW||Jakob Forsbacka Karlsson (6)||Bobo Carpenter/7|
|Shots on Goal||1st||2nd||3rd||OT||SOG|
|Team Stats and Records||PP||PIM||SHGF|
|Boston University (11-5-2)||2/4||4/8||0|
|Alex Sakellaropoulos (L, 13-3-1)||62:28||5||10||5||12||2||29|
|Boston University Goaltending||MIN||GA||1||2||3||OT||Saves|
|Connor LaCouvee (W, 3-0-0)||62:51||4||8||18||8||1||35|
BOSTON - Sophomore Jakob Forsbacka Karlsson collected his first collegiate hat trick, including the final two goals of the game, to lift the No. 5 Boston University men's ice hockey team to a 5-4 overtime victory over No. 10 Union on Thursday night at Agganis Arena.
Final Score: #5 Boston University 5, #10 Union 4 (OT)
Records: BU (11-5-2), Union (14-5-2)
Location: Agganis Arena - Boston, Mass.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Forsbacka Karlsson notched his second goal of the game on the power play to knot the game at 4-4 with 2:54 remaining in regulation.
- The sophomore then sealed the victory - and the hat trick - when he collected his own rebound off a blocked shot and converted from the left crease at 2:51 of overtime.
- Classmate and linemate Bobo Carpenter tallied a goal and adding two assists, including one on the overtime winner when he helped win a faceoff that directly led to the goal.
- All five goals were from sophomores as Shane Switzer opened the scoring 3-10 into the contest with his third goal in two games.
- Forsbacka Karlsson pushed the lead to 2-0 less than six minutes later on a perfectly executed rush via assists from Carpenter and sophomore Ryan Cloonan.
- Union clawed its way back, getting goals from Luc Brown and Cole Maier to draw even at 2-2 after the opening stanza.
- The Dutchmen took their first of two one-goal leads when Sebastian Vidmar converted on a power play at 7:54 of the second.
- Carpenter made it a 3-3 contest at 11:13 of the middle frame when he capitalized on a Union turnover next to its own goal and potted his fifth goal of the year.
- BU faced a 4-3 deficit entering the second intermission after Brett Supinski netted a goal on the man advantage with 4:08 left in the second.
- Forsbacka Karlsson's game-tying tally came on a shot from the left circle that went off the right post and in.
- The Terriers are now 5-0-0 this season in both non-conference home games and contests against ECAC teams.
- Both teams went 2-of-4 on the power play. This was the first time since Nov. 11 at Michigan that the Terriers' penalty kill allowed two goals.
- This was the Terriers' first win over Union in three tries as the series now stands at 1-1-1.
- BU opened the scoring for the fourth straight game after giving up the initial tally in each of the four previous contests.
- The Terriers without the services of seven of their top players as they were playing in the gold-medal game of the 2017 World Junior Championship in Montreal. This is the first time in the 41-year history of the World Juniors that a North American university or junior team had seven players in the tournament.
- The Terriers will participate in Frozen Fenway for the third time, taking on Massachusetts in the opener of a doubleheader at the home of the Boston Red Sox on Saturday (Jan. 7).
- The outdoor tilt will start at 1:30 p.m. and will be broadcast live on NESN.