|1st||10:03||BU||1-0||EV||Charlie McAvoy (2)||Jordan Greenway/10, Clayton Keller/7|
|1st||18:51||BU||2-0||EV||Shane Switzer (1)||Jakob Forsbacka Karlsson/11, Brandon Hickey/5|
|2nd||0:59||BU||3-0||EV GW||Bobo Carpenter (4)||Clayton Keller/8, Nikolas Olsson/3|
|2nd||2:59||BU||4-0||EV||Shane Switzer (2)||Oskar Andrén/3, Chase Phelps/1|
|2nd||6:39||YAL||1-4||EV||John Hayden (10)||Ryan Hitchcock/13, Joe Snively/9|
|2nd||15:30||BU||5-1||PP||Clayton Keller (7)||Jakob Forsbacka Karlsson/12, Patrick Harper/13|
|3rd||3:42||YAL||2-5||EV||Ryan Hitchcock (1)||Chandler Lindstrand/5|
|Shots on Goal||1st||2nd||3rd||SOG|
|Team Stats and Records||PP||PIM||SHGF|
|Boston University (10-5-2)||1/5||5/10||0|
|Sam Tucker (L, 0-3-0)||39:53||5||20||9||0||29|
|Boston University Goaltending||MIN||GA||1||2||3||Saves|
|Jake Oettinger (W, 8-5-2)||60:00||2||13||7||8||28|
BOSTON - Paced by sophomore Shane Switzer's first two goals as a Terrier and a three-point night from freshman Clayton Keller, the No. 6 Boston University men's ice hockey team closed out the first half of its season with a 5-2 triumph over visiting Yale on Tuesday evening at Agganis Arena.
Final Score: #6 Boston University 5, Yale 2
Records: BU (10-5-2), Yale (4-6-2)
Location: Agganis Arena - Boston, Mass.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Keller tallied a goal and added two assists and Switzer scored a goal in both the first and second periods with the latter giving the Terriers a 4-0 lead 2:59 into the second period.
- Sophomore Charlie McAvoy opened the scoring midway through the first period and classmate Bobo Carpenter also found the back of the net early in the middle stanza for the eventual game-winner.
- Yale got on the board at 6:39 of the second on John Hayden's team-best 10th goal of the season.
- A power-play marker by Keller with 4:30 remaining in the middle period pushed BU's lead to 5-1 before the Bulldogs scored the lone goal of the third.
- Freshman Jake Oettinger turned aside 28 Yale shots to earn the win in goal.
- The first goal came 10:03 into the game when Keller won a faceoff directly to McAvoy, who passed to sophomore Greenway before crashing the net. An attempt from the right point by Greenway went off McAvoy and in for his second goal of the year.
- Switzer's first collegiate tally came with 1:09 left in the first as a pass from the left corner by classmate Jakob Forsbacka Karlsson found Switzer in the slot. The puck went off Switzer's skate and right to his stick before the sophomore found the back of the net at the left post to make it 2-0.
- Keller found Carpenter open at the top of the crease just 59 seconds into the second for a tap-in goal.
- Switzer's second marker came on a perfect wrister from the top of the right slot with on assists from sophomore Oskar Andrén and junior Chase Phelps.
- Keller completed his three-point night and matched the team high in goals at seven when he converted on a power play at the left crease following some slick passing by Forsbacka Karlsson and freshman Patrick Harper.
- The Terriers enter the semester break with 10 or more wins for the fourth time in the past six seasons.
- BU set a season high for shots in a period when they put up 22 in the first against a Yale team that entered the night allowing only 26.5 shots per contest.
- The Terriers recorded a season-best 41 shots in the game and allowed 30.
- BU killed off all four of Yale's power-play chances and went 1-for-5 on the man advantage.
- The Terriers broke a deadlock in their all-time series with the Bulldogs and now have a 32-31-3 advantage.
- BU opened the scoring for the third straight game after giving up the initial tally in each of the four previous contests.
- The Terriers will take a three-week break from their schedule for finals and the holidays before returning to action on Thursday, Jan. 5, against No. 12/13 Union at Agganis Arena. Game time is 7 p.m.