|1st||13:49||QUI||1-0||EV||Alex Whelan (2)||Craig Martin/1|
|2nd||3:39||BU||1-1||PP||Patrick Harper (3)||Bobo Carpenter/1, Chad Krys/2|
|2nd||13:38||QUI||2-1||EV||Bo Pieper (1)||Landon Smith/1, Odeen Tufto/2|
|3rd||0:53||BU||2-2||EV||Patrick Harper (4)||David Farrance/1|
|OT||4:19||BU||3-2||EV GW||Shane Bowers (2)||Patrick Harper/2, Brandon Hickey/1|
|Shots on Goal||1st||2nd||3rd||OT||SOG|
|Team Stats and Records||PP||PIM||SHGF|
|Boston University (2-0-0)||1/5||5/10||0|
|Boston University Goaltending||MIN||GA||1||2||3||OT||Saves|
|Jake Oettinger (W, 2-0-0)||64:19||2||4||10||3||5||22|
|Keith Petruzzelli (L, 0-1-0)||64:19||3||11||12||6||2||31|
HAMDEN, Conn. - Freshman Shane Bowers poked in his own rebound with 41.1 seconds left in overtime to lift the No. 2 Boston University men's ice hockey team to a thrilling 3-2 road win over No. 14 Quinnipiac on Sunday afternoon at High Point Solutions Arena.
Sophomore Patrick Harper scored both of BU's goals in regulation and assisted on Bowers' winner to help the Terriers improve to 2-0-0 on the young season. The Bobcats, who were playing in their home opener, move to 0-1-1 on the year.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Quinnipiac held leads of 1-0 and 2-1 but Harper tied the game each time before setting up Bowers in overtime.
- Alex Whelan gave the Bobcats a 1-0 lead at 13:49 of the opening period on a wrister from the right circle that found the far corner against sophomore goaltender Jake Oettinger.
- Trailing 1-0 in the second, BU got its first equalizer on a power play at 3:39 of the period.
- Junior Bobo Carpenter had a pair of shots saved by Quinnipiac netminder Keith Petruzzelli and Harper gathered the loose puck and patiently waited for a shooting lane before snapping a shot to the back of the net.
- The Bobcats regained the lead 10 minutes later on a goal by Bo Pieper off a rush from the high slot.
- The Terriers took advantage of a turnover to erase their second deficit as freshman David Farrance got the puck to Harper in the neutral zone and the sophomore split a pair of defenders at the blue line before skating through the left circle and banking a shot off Petruzzelli and in just 53 seconds into the third period.
- In overtime, Harper had the puck behind the net and curled around the top of the zone before reaching the left circle and passing to Bowers, who was positioned in the low slot.
- Bowers' first attempt was stopped by Petruzzelli but the rookie was quick to the rebound at the right crease and punched it in to send the Terriers back to Boston with a victory.
- The Terriers held a 34-24 shot advantage and went 1-for-5 on the power play while killing off all three of Quinnipiac's man-up opportunities.
- BU held the Bobcats to just three shots in the third period.
- Oettinger recorded 22 saves for the Terriers while Petruzzelli made 31 saves for the Bobcats.
- Carpenter set a career high with nine shots and sophomore Dante Fabbro had a game-best four blocked shots.
- Farrance's assist was his first as a Terrier.
- Senior captain Brandon Hickey picked up an assist on Bowers' tally while Carpenter and sophomore Chad Krys assisted on Harper's first goal.
- The Terriers are now a perfect 3-0-0 against Quinnipiac following a 4-1 road win two seasons ago and a 3-0 shutout victory at home last season.
- Through two games, Harper is tied for the nation lead in both goals (4) and points (6).
- The Terriers will return to action on Friday (Oct. 13) when they welcome No. 18/15 Minnesota State to Agganis Arena in the opener of a weekend series.
- Game time is set for 7:30 p.m.
- It will be the first-ever meeting between the two schools and the Mavericks' first appearance in the city of Boston.