|1st||7:45||UMA||1-0||EV||Griff Jeszka (3)||Mario Ferraro/16|
|1st||8:19||BU||1-1||EV||Shane Bowers (14)||Logan Cockerill/9, Hank Crone/5|
|1st||19:55||BU||2-1||EV||Bobo Carpenter (17)||Hank Crone/6|
|2nd||2:02||BU||3-1||PP||Shane Bowers (15)||Dante Fabbro/15, Brady Tkachuk/16|
|3rd||2:17||UMA||2-3||EV||Jack Suter (4)||Austin Albrecht/4, John Leonard/11|
|3rd||12:38||UMA||3-3||EV GT||Mitchell Chaffee (12)||Niko Rufo/7, Mario Ferraro/17|
|Shots on Goal||1st||2nd||3rd||OT||SOG|
|Team Stats and Records||PP||PIM||SHGF|
|Boston University (15-11-3)||1/1||2/4||0|
|Matt Murray (T, 5-10-2)||64:42||3||17||11||7||3||38|
|Boston University Goaltending||MIN||GA||1||2||3||OT||Saves|
|Jake Oettinger (T, 14-10-3)||64:54||3||8||4||8||0||20|
BOSTON, Mass. - Freshman Shane Bowers scored a pair of goals for the Boston University men's ice hockey team as the Terriers skated to a 3-3 draw with UMass on Friday night at Agganis Arena.
The win extended BU's unbeaten streak to nine games at 7-0-2, the longest active run in the nation and the program's best since the 2008-09 national championship season.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- UMass got the game's first goal at the 7:45 mark when Mario Ferraro intercepted a pass in the neutral zone and fed Griff Jeszka up ice for a score.
- Just 32 seconds later, BU got the equalizer as Bowers and freshman Logan Cockerill raced up ice after freshman Hank Crone won the puck in the defensive zone. Cockerill's shot was saved, but Bowers scored on the rebound to knot the score at 1-1.
- At the 19:55 mark of the first period, BU took a 2-1 lead. Crone created another turnover and fed Bobo Carpenter. The junior rushed up ice to beat both UMass netminder Matt Murray (38 saves) and the end-of-period horn.
- Bowers got his second of the night just 10 seconds into an early second-period power play when he tapped in a loose rebound from sophomore Dante Fabbro's point shot.
- UMass halved its deficit 2:17 into the third period when Jack Suter tipped in Austin Albrecht's shot from the point to make the score 3-2.
- The Minutemen tied the game with 7:22 left in regulation when Jake Oettinger made a kick save of Niko Rufo's shot by Mitchell Chaffee was in the right spot for the rebound which he deposited into an empty net.
- With his two goals tonight, Shane Bowers now has 15 goals on the season, matching Michigan State's Mitchell Lewandowski for the national lead among rookies.
- Crone had a pair of assists in the first period alone. The two assists are a career high for the freshman and it marks his second career multiple-point game, joining his goal and assist night at Maine on Nov. 18.
- Freshman Brady Tkachuk picked up his 16th assist of the year on Bowers' power play goal early in the second period. That sum ties junior Jordan Greenway for the team lead.
- The Terriers scored on their first power play chance of the evening and now have scored with a man advantage in each of their last seven games. It is the longest stretch for BU since a seven-game run from Dec. 13, 2014, to Jan. 23, 2015.
- BU is now 11-0-1 this year when leading after the first period and is undefeated in each of its last 28 such contests at 26-0-2 since a Jan. 15, 2016, loss at Boston College.
- BU extended its unbeaten streak against UMass to 12 games (10-0-2).
- The Terriers had a few notable comings and goings from their standard lineup of late. Sophomore defenseman Chad Krys returned to the lineup for the first time since Jan. 26 at Arizona State. Meanwhile, BU played the first of what will be six games without Greenway, who is in PeyongChang, South Korea, competing for the United States in the Olympic Games.
- BU returns to TD Garden on Monday to face No. 11 Northeastern at 7:30 p.m. in the Beanpot championship game. The game will air live on NESN and TSN2.