|1st||4:45||PRV||1-0||EV||Brian Pinho (2)||Brandon Duhaime/3, Jacob Bryson/6|
|1st||6:10||UMA||1-1||EV||John Leonard (4)||Philip Lagunov/5, Mitchell Chaffee/3|
|1st||9:21||PRV||2-1||PP||Scott Conway (1)||Vimal Sukumaran/1, Ben Mirageas/2|
|1st||12:45||PRV||3-1||PP GW||Ben Mirageas (3)||Scott Conway/5, Spenser Young/3|
|1st||16:44||PRV||4-1||PP||Brian Pinho (3)||Jacob Bryson/7, Erik Foley/3|
|2nd||4:12||PRV||5-1||PP||Ben Mirageas (4)||Scott Conway/6, Vimal Sukumaran/2|
|2nd||13:54||UMA||2-5||EV||Marco Bozzo (2)||Austin Plevy/1, Kurt Keats/2|
|3rd||11:29||PRV||6-2||EV||Erik Foley (4)||Brian Pinho/3, Tommy Davis/4|
|3rd||18:18||PRV||7-2||PP||Kasper Björkqvist (5)||Ben Mirageas/3, Scott Conway/7|
|Shots on Goal||1st||2nd||3rd||SOG|
|Team Stats and Records||PP||PIM||SHGF|
|Matt Murray (L, 3-5-0)||60:00||7||14||10||15||39|
|Hayden Hawkey (W, 6-4-0)||59:41||2||10||11||7||28|
PROVIDENCE, R.I. - The No. 8/7 Providence College men's hockey team defeated UMass, 7-2, on Saturday night at Schneider Arena in Providence, R.I.
No. 8/7 Providence - 7 | UMass - 2
Providence - 6-4-0 (3-3-0 HEA) | UMass - 5-6-0 (2-3-0 HEA)
Schneider Arena - Providence, R.I.
Hawkey (PC) - 28 saves
Murray (UM) - 39 saves
- Senior captain Brian Pinho got the scoring started for the Friars on a 2-on-1 just 4:45 into the contest. Brandon Duhaime slipped a past across the slot and Pinho was able to beat Matt Murray to the glove side. Jacob Bryson picked up the secondary assist on the play.
- Just 1:25 later, the Minutemen leveled the score. Mitchell Chaffee passed it to Philip Langunov, who slid the puck to the slot from behind the net. John Leonard finished it right in front for his fourth goal of the season.
- Providence regained the lead midway through the first period. Scott Conway scored his first goal of the season by finishing his own rebound right in front. Ben Mirageas and Vimal Sukumaran tallied assists on the play.
- Mirageas grabbed a power play goal of his own at the 12:45 mark of the first period. He tucked a wrist shot from the left point right under the crossbar. Scott Conway and Spenser Young tallied the assists.
- Providence continued its power-play success with a third goal on the man-advantage in the opening frame. Pinho scored his second of the game with a one-timer from the left circle. Bryson picked up his second assist of the game on the feed and Erik Foley grabbed his first assist as well.
- The Friars continued to dominate on the power play, with another goal just 4:12 into the second frame. Mirageas scored his second of the day from the blue line. Conway earned his second assist and Vimal Sukumaran notched his first assist on the tally.
- Freshman Marco Bozzo cut into the Friars lead with his second-career goal at the 13:54 mark of the second. He was assisted by Austin Plevy and Kurt Keats.
- Erik Foley added a third-period tally for the Friars with 8:31 left to play. Tommy Davis picked up his first point of the evening while Pinho earned his third of the night by assisting the goal.
- Mirageas and Conway picked up assists two and three, respectively, on Björkqvist's goal with under two minutes to play.
- Hayden Hawkey finished the night with 28 saves, while Matt Murray made 39 at the other end.
- With three kills tonight, the Friars are now 23-for-23 on the penalty kill over the last five games. The streak dates back to Oct. 27.
- All proceeds from tonight's game will go directly to Drew Brown's family. Former Friar Drew Brown '16 lost his long, courageous fight against cancer this morning.
- Mirageas and Conway finished the night with a game-high four points, while Brian Pinho chipped in with a goal and an assist.
HOW THEY SCORED
1-0 (Providence) - 4:45/1st - EV - Brian Pinho (Duhaime, Bryson) - Pass across the slot, finished over Murray's glove
1-1 (UM) - 6:10/1st - EV - John Leonard (Lagunov, Chaffee) - Pass from behind the net, finished top-shelf from in front
2-1 (Providence) - 9:21/1st - PP - Scott Conway (Sukumaran, Mirageas) - Scored on his own rebound in front
3-1 (Providence) - 12:45/1st - PP - Ben Mirageas (Conway, Young) - Wrist shot from the left point
4-1 (Providence) - 16:44/1st - PP - Brian Pinho (Bryson, Foley) - One-timer from the left circle
5-1 (Providence) - 4:12/2nd - PP - Ben Mirageas (Conway, Sukumaran) - Shot from the point through traffic
5-2 (UM) -13:54/2nd - EV - Marco Bozzo (Plevy, Keats) - One-timer from top of the crease
6-2 (Providence) - 11:29/3rd - EV - Erik Foley (Pinho, Davis) - Wrist shot, blocker side
7-2 (Providence) - 18:18/3rd - PP - Kasper Björkqvist (Mirageas, Conway) - Shot from Mirageas that banked in off the shin of Björkqvist.
Providence - 5/8
UMass - 0/3
Providence - 46
UMass - 30
Providence will play a home-and-home series with the Merrimack Warriors next weekend. On Friday (Nov. 17), the Friars host the Warriors at Schneider Arena for a 7:15 p.m. puck drop. Saturday's game is set for 7:00 p.m. at Lawler Rink in North Andover, Mass.