PROVIDENCE, R.I. - The No. 15 Providence College men's hockey team skated to a scoreless 0-0 tie against Vermont in game one of a two-game series at Schneider Arena on Friday afternoon (Jan. 1). The Friars claimed the extra point in the Hockey East standings by virtue of 2-1 win in the shootout.
Providence - 0 | Vermont - 0 - OT (PC wins shootout, 2-1)
Providence - 2-3-2 (2-3-2 HEAM) | Vermont - 0-3-2 (0-3-2 HEAM)
Schneider Arena - Providence, R.I.
Jaxson Stauber (PC) - 23 saves
Tyler Harmon (Vermont) - 33 saves
-Both teams were scoreless in all three periods and through overtime. The Friars led in shots (33) over Vermont (23).
- The Friars played an impressive third period, outshooting the Catamounts by an 11-3 margin, but were unable to capitalize.
- With the Friars down to their final shootout attempt, Greg Printz evened things up to extend the contest.
- Michael Callahan wired an attempt over the blocker of Harmon to put Providence in front and Bryce Misley's attempt to tie things up went wide as the Friars claimed the extra point in the standings.
- Jaxson Stauber recorded his second career shutout stopping all 33 shots and improving his goals-against average to 1.36 and save percentage to .945 in five games this season
-Greg Printz and Michael Callahan both scored in the shootout to give the Friars the extra point in the Hockey East standings.
- The Providence penalty kill is now 23-of-24 this season (.958).
- The Friars didn't convert on their lone power play attempt of the night, which lasted only 38 seconds in the third period.
- The scoreless tie was the first for the program since Oct. 25, 2003 at Merrimack.
PC GAME HIGHS
Shots: Mirageas, Printz, Callahan (4)
Providence - 0/1
Vermont - 0/3
Providence - 33
Vermont - 23
The Friars and the Catamounts conclude their series on Saturday, Jan. 2, in Schneider Arena at 7 p.m.