DURHAM, N.H. - Matthew Kessel posted one goal and two assists for the Minutemen as the University of New Hampshire men's hockey team fell to No. 9 UMass, 4-0, at the Whittemore Center on Wednesday afternoon. UMass goalie Matt Murray made 27 saves to record the shutout. The Wildcats fall to 1-1-1 (1-1-1 Hockey East), while the Minutemen improve to 6-3-1 (6-3-1 Hockey East).
UP NEXT: The Wildcats return to the Whittemore Center on Friday, January 1 as they take on UConn at 4 p.m. on NESN.
Score: #9 UMass 4, New Hampshire 0
Records: UNH (1-1-1, 1-1-1 Hockey East), UMass (6-3-1, 6-3-1 Hockey East)
Location: Durham, N.H. (Whittemore Center)
Date: Wednesday, Dec. 30, 2020
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The first period went scoreless as UNH had 10 shots on goal, while UMass took six. The Wildcats were 0-3 on the power play and the Minutemen were 0-1.
- At 11:58 of the second period, Kessel wristed the puck to the back of the net to give the Minutemen a 1-0 lead.
- UNH outshot UMass by a 11-10 margin in the period, while the Wildcats went 0-3 on the power play and the Minutemen went 0-1.
- Carson Gicewicz chipped one in for the Minutemen at 4:24 of the third period to extend the lead to 2-0.
- At 17:00, the 'Cats pulled Robinson in exchange for an extra attacker.
- Bobby Trivigno then buried an empty net goal for the Minutemen at 17:04 giving UMass a 3-0 lead.
- Zac Jones found the back of the net for the Minutemen with 32 seconds remaining for the 4-0 final.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Senior goalie Mike Robinson (Bedford, N.H.) made 19 saves, while Murray recorded 27.
- UNH outshot UMass, 27-23.
- The Wildcats went 0-7 on the power play and the Minutemen went 0-4.