October 18, 2012
#3 Boston University hosts #2 Cornell for a two-game series this weekend
No. 2 Cornell at No. 3 Boston University - Two-Game Series (Sat. at Agganis Arena, Sun. at WBA)
- The Terriers are the only undefeated team in Hockey East with a perfect 4-0 record and are coming off a convincing 4-1 road victory at No. 9 Northeastern on Tuesday at Matthews Arena. Junior goaltender Kerrin Sperry (North Reading, Mass.) recorded her 44th career win on Tuesday for the Terriers, which broke the all-time school record previously held by Allyse Wilcox ('09 - 43 wins).
- BU leads the league in scoring offense with 4.25 goals per game (17 goals in 4 games) and ranks fourth nationally among Division I teams.
- BU and Cornell have eliminated each other in the last two NCAA tournaments with Cornell winning the last meeting in March of 2012, a 8-7 triple overtime game at Lynah Rink, which marked the third longest game in NCAA women's hockey history.
Vermont at Providence - Two-Game Series (Sat., Sun. at Schneider Arena)
- UVM head coach Jim Plumer earned his first league win on Tuesday night vs. UNH, 4-3, at the Whittemore Center. Klara Myren's (Leksand, Sweden) career-high four points (2g,2a) tied a program record for points in a game. Myren and NU's Kendall Coyne (Palos Heights, Ill.) currently lead the league with eight points on the year. Junior goalie Roxanne Douville (Beloeil, Que.) stopped 26 shots in the game for the Catamounts, including 11 saves in the final period.
- The Friars won the season series vs. UVM last year, 2-1, which included a 3-0 PC victory in the last meeting on Nov. 19 at Schneider Arena. Douville notched 43 saves in the loss for the Catamounts.
- Vermont has scored seven of its 12 goals this season in the first period and has recorded five third period goals to date.
Connecticut at Maine - Two-Game Series (Sat., Sun. at Alfond Arena)
- The Black Bears split the season series with UConn is 2011-12 with the teams skating to a 1-1 tie on Jan. 20 in the last meeting.
- Sophomore forward Sarah MacDonnell (Quispamsis, N.B.) leads the Huskies in scoring with five points (2g,3a), while classmate Rachel Farrel (Chesire, Conn.) has tallied a team-high three goals so far this season.
No. 4 Boston College vs. New Hampshire - Two-Game Series (Fri. at UNH; Sat. at BC)
- The Eagles won the season series with UNH last year, 2-0-1, and outscored them 10 to 3 in those three contests.
- BC went a perfect 7-for-7 on the penalty kill in the season opening loss to BU on Oct. 5th.
- Freshman Sara Carlson (Hutchinson, Minn.) has notched a goal in her first three collegiate games for the
Wildcats, which included two points (1g,1a) in the 4-3 loss to Vermont on Tuesday at the Whittemore Center.