UConn Huskies And Maine Black Bears Skate To 3-3 Tie
Senior Caitlin Hewes tallies two assists for Huskies

Senior Caitlin Hewes registered two assists for the Huskies
Prd Time  Team Score Type Scored By Assists
1st 0:46  MNE1-0 EV Brooke Stacey (1)Morgan Sakundiak/4
1st 3:13  CON1-1 EV Theresa Knutson (2)Sarah MacDonnell/3, Alice Hughes/2
1st 11:18  MNE2-1 EV Kelsey MacSorley (3)Brittany Huneke/4, Victoria Hummel/1
2nd 5:31  CON2-2 EV Kayla Campero (2)Caitlin Hewes/3
2nd 8:46  MNE3-2 EV Hailey Browne (2)Abbey Cook/1
2nd 19:00  CON3-3 EV GT Leah Lum (2)Caitlin Hewes/4, Kelly Harris/2
Scoring 1st 2nd 3rd OT Final
Maine  21003
Connecticut  12003
Shots on Goal 1st 2nd 3rd OT SOG
Maine  111310438
Connecticut  61311232
Team Stats and Records  PP PIM SHGF
Maine (3-5-2)  0/1 2/4 0
Connecticut (2-4-4)  0/2 1/2 0
Maine Goaltending MIN GA 1 2 3 OT Saves
Meghann Treacy (T, 3-5-1)65:003 51111229
Connecticut Goaltending MIN GA 1 2 3 OT Saves
Elaine Chuli (T, 2-3-2)65:003 91210435

STORRS, Conn. - Three skaters lit the lamp and Elaine Chuli made 35 saves for the UConn women's hockey team in a 3-3 tie against Maine on Friday night at Freitas Ice Forum. The draw moves UConn to 2-4-4 on the year and 0-0-1 in Hockey East play, while Maine goes to 3-5-2 and 2-1-1 in league action.

The Huskies came back to erase Black Bear leads three times in the contest, but could never pull ahead. Theresa Knutson (Onalaska, Wis.) picked up a first period goal for UConn before Kayla Campero (Wallingford, Conn.) and Leah Lum (Richmond, British Columbia) each scored in the second frame. Caitlin Hewes (Stillwater, Minn.) assisted on the second and third Connecticut markers for a two-point outing.

The 35 saves for Chuli (Waterford, Ontario) came on 38 shots on goal against, while Maine's Meghann Treacy stopped 29-of-32 shots. In addition to a 38-32 edge in shots, the Black Bears held a razor-thin 39-38 advantage in the faceoff circle. UConn was 0-for-2 on the power play and Maine could not convert on its lone man advantage.

Maine got on the board 46 seconds into the contest, taking an early 1-0 lead. Brooke Stacey chopped a puck towards goal that took a Black Bear bounce and got past Chuli for her first goal of the season.

The Huskies leveled the contest at 3:13, capitalizing on some good pressure in the Black Bear zone. Allie Hughes (La Canada, Calif.) fired a shot from the point that was saved, and Sarah MacDonnell's rebound bid hit the post. The Husky captain was able to get a stick on the puck and force it back to the middle, where Knutson was there to pounce on it and pot her second of the season.

The Black Bears went up again midway through the first period, when Kelsey MacSorley made it 2-1 after a blast from the point that deflected off a UConn player. The goal came at 11:18 of the opening stanza and was assisted by Brittney Huneke and Victoria Hummel.

UConn went to the power play in the waning moments of the first period, concluding their advantage in the second frame without a score. Knutson and MacDonnell (Quispamsis, New Brunswick) nearly connected again five minutes into the period after a centering pass in front, but MacDonnell's shot was swallowed up by Treacy.

The Huskies would not be denied for long, with Campero evening the contest at 5:31 of the second. After a breakout pass from Hewes, Campero glided in alone and slotted a sharp-angle shot home for her second of the year.

Hailey Browne struck for Maine at 9:46 of the second, taking a pass from Abbey Cook before gaining the UConn zone all alone and sending her second goal of the season past Chuli.

The scoring quieted over the next 10 minutes or so, before UConn tallied again to knot the contest for the third time. Kelly Harris (Canton, Mich.) and Hewes circled the puck around the horn to an awaiting Lum, who stepped up and ripped a blast from the point past everyone for her second goal of the season. The strike came at 19:00 of the second stanza and sent the contest to the third period tied at 3-3.

UConn went to the power play at 3:35 of the third period, but could not capitalize on their second advantage of the day. Both sides had quality looks throughout the frame, but neither could find a winner and the contest went to overtime.

The Huskies nearly had a winner midway through the extra period when a Knutson shot led to a loose puck in front, but the Black Bears finally cleared the danger. Maine took to the power play for the final 1:02 of the contest after a charging call on UConn, but Chuli stood tall and made four saves in the extra period to seal the tie.

The Huskies return to action on Sunday, Nov. 2 with a trip to Vermont to take on the Catamounts in Burlington. Puck drop from Gutterson Fieldhouse is set for 2 p.m.