|1st||9:51||NOE||1-0||EV||Paige Savage (7)||-|
|1st||13:15||NOE||2-0||EV GW||Kendall Coyne (26)||Denisa Křížová/23|
|2nd||2:28||CON||1-2||EV||Kelly Harris (1)||Justine Fredette/11, Theresa Knutson/7|
|2nd||19:54||NOE||3-1||EV||Hayley Masters (4)||Kendall Coyne/16, Tori Hickel/4|
|3rd||1:48||NOE||4-1||EV||Halle Silva (3)||McKenna Brand/6, Paige Savage/6|
|3rd||9:30||NOE||5-1||EV||McKenna Brand (4)||Paige Savage/7, Lauren Kelly/11|
|Shots on Goal||1st||2nd||3rd||SOG|
|Team Stats and Records||PP||PIM||SHGF|
|Annie Belanger (L, 4-2-2)||59:50||5||5||16||15||36|
|Brittany Bugalski (W, 11-3-1)||60:00||1||12||2||4||18|
BOSTON - Redshirt junior Paige Savage notched a goal and two assists to propel the No. 8 Northeastern women's hockey team (15-4-1, 10-2-0 WHEA) to a 5-1 win over Connecticut (7-9-3, 3-6-1 WHEA) on Tuesday night at Matthews Arena.
Senior Kendall Coyne posted a goal and an assist to move within one point of tying Hilary Witt for the program points record with 208. In a twist of fate, Coyne will have a chance to break the record this weekend against Witt, who is currently the head coach of New Hampshire.
Junior Hayley Masters, sophomore Halle Silva, and sophomore McKenna Brand also scored for the Huskies, who extended their unbeaten streak against UConn to 16 games (13-0-3).
In her first action since Nov. 24, freshman goaltender Brittany Bugalski turned aside 18 shots as the Huskies held a 41-19 shot advantage, including a 34-7 margin after the first period.
- Northeastern broke through at the 9:51 mark of the first period when Savage blocked an attempted clearance, skated in, and ripped a shot off the right post and into the back of the net from between the circles.
- Coyne extended the lead to 2-0 at 13:15 of the first frame. Taking a pass from sophomore Denisa Krizova along the left boards, Coyne gained the UConn zone with speed, before sniping a shot through the legs of a defender and past Annie Belanger (36 saves).
- UConn cut the scoreline to 2-1 when Kelly Harris snapped a shot off the glove of Bugalski from the high slot just 2:28 into the middle period.
- Northeastern bumped the cushion back to two with six seconds left in the stanza when Masters crashed the net and nudged home a rebound following a Coyne shot.
- The red and black Huskies went up 4-1 just 1:48 into the third when Silva whacked another rebound home after Brand was initially stopped by Belanger.
- Brand then found the back of the net less than eight minutes later, blasting the puck by Belanger from the low right slot with 10:30 to play.
Stats of the Game
- Northeastern extended its unbeaten streak against UConn to 16 straight games (13-0-3).
- The Huskies scored at least five goals for the 12th time in 20 games this season.
- NU outshot UConn, 41-19, including a 34-7 margin after the first period.
- Savage notched her first three-point effort of the season.
- Brand posted her second two-point game of the campaign.
- Coyne recorded two points to move within one point of tying Hilary Witt for the program points record (208).
Northeastern will take on New Hampshire in a home-and-home series this weekend, beginning with a 2 p.m. contest on Saturday at Matthews Arena.