|1st||9:19||MRC||1-0||EV||Emily Janiga (3)||Rachael Smith/2|
|1st||16:34||MRC||2-0||EV||Taylor Accursi (1)||Sarah Hine/1, Molly Blasen/1|
|2nd||2:03||NOE||1-2||PP||Kendall Coyne (9)||Denisa Křížová/7, Heather Mottau/2|
|2nd||6:16||NOE||2-2||EV||Paige Savage (1)||McKenna Brand/3|
|2nd||12:07||MRC||3-2||PP||J'nai Mahadeo (1)||Rachael Smith/3, Brooke Hartwick/2|
|3rd||0:18||NOE||3-3||EV||Denisa Křížová (2)||Kendall Coyne/4|
|3rd||2:42||NOE||4-3||EV GW||Denisa Křížová (3)||Hayley Scamurra/2, Kendall Coyne/5|
|3rd||9:53||NOE||5-3||EV||Kendall Coyne (10)||Heather Mottau/3, Maddie Hartman/3|
|3rd||15:06||NOE||6-3||PP||Jordan Krause (2)||Lauren Kelly/3, McKenna Brand/4|
|3rd||16:59||NOE||7-3||SH EN||Denisa Křížová (4)||Lauren Kelly/4|
|Shots on Goal||1st||2nd||3rd||SOG|
|Team Stats and Records||PP||PIM||SHGF|
|Kerri St. Denis (L, 0-1-0)||59:43||6||8||8||9||25|
|Brittany Bugalski (W, 3-1-1)||60:00||3||11||11||5||27|
BOSTON - Sophomore Denisa Krizova tallied her first collegiate hat trick as the Northeastern women's hockey team erupted for five third-period goals to earn a weekend sweep of Mercyhurst in a 7-3 win at Matthews Arena on Saturday.
Krizova scored all three of her goals in the final period as the Huskies turned a 3-2 deficit into a 7-3 win, netting five unanswered goals for the second straight game.
Senior Kendall Coyne notched career goals No. 100 and 101 and added two assists, while junior Heather Mottau, sophomore Lauren Kelly, and sophomore McKenna Brand each added a pair of helpers.
Coyne reached the century mark with a power-play tally in the second period to become the second player in program history (Hilary Witt) to score 100 or more career goals.
- Mercyhurst struck first when Emily Janiga cut through the middle of the slot and unleashed a hard wrister through the pads of Brittany Bugalski at the 9:19 mark of the first period.
- The Lakers pushed the lead to 2-0 at 16:34 when Taylor Accursi took a headman feed from Sarah Hine and stashed a backhand through the five-hole of Bugalski to make it 2-0.
- Northeastern brought the score to 2-1 at 2:03 of the second period on Coyne's 100th career goal. On a power-play, junior Heather Mottau tossed a pass to sophomore Denisa Krizova at the right of the net. Krizova then dropped a pass to an open Coyne, who rifled a wrister under the crossbar from between the circles.
- The Huskies pulled even just over four minutes later on a beautiful exchange between Savage and sophomore McKenna Brand. After Savage caused a turnover in the Mercyhurst zone, Brand played a perfect backhand feed to the redshirt junior, who skated in on the left wing and slipped a shot into the net from a tough angle to make it 2-2 at the 6:16 mark.
- Mercyhurst took the lead back at 12:07 on a power play of its own. Brooke Hartwick threw the puck toward the net for Rachael Smith, who made a beautiful backhand feed through the slot to J'nai Mahadeo at the right post for an easy tap in.
- The Huskies scored the first of their five third period goals just 18 seconds into the frame. On a giveaway in the MU zone, Coyne shoveled a feed across the crease for Krizova to fire home at the right post.
- Krizova then struck again at the 2:42 mark for the eventual game-winning goal. After Coyne won a battle along the left-wing boards, junior Hayley Scamurra picked up the disc and threw a perfect centering pass across the goal-mouth to Krizova, who made a nifty deke in front, before backhanding a shot inside the right post to make it 4-3.
- Coyne pushed the advantage to 5-3 at 9:53 with a redirection in front off a Heather Mottau point-shot.
- The Huskies power play struck again at 15:06 to make it 6-3 when senior Jordan Krause wristed a shot inside the right post from the right point.
- Krizova then completed her first collegiate hat trick with 3:01 showing on the clock. With MU on the power play, the Lakers elected to pull their goaltender for a 6-on-4 advantage. Krizova won a defensive-zone faceoff and then took a quick pass from sophomore Lauren Kelly along the boards, before floating a shot all the way down the ice and into the empty net.
Stats of the Game
- Krizova netted her first collegiate hat trick and finished with four points, six shots on goal and a plus-three rating.
- Coyne became the second player in program history (Hilary Witt) to score 100 career goals.
- Coyne finished with four points, 10 shots on goal and a plus-three rating.
- Coyne has scored in all six games this season.
- Coyne recorded her eighth career four-point performance.
- The Huskies scored on the power play for the fifth straight game.
- Bugalski turned aside 27 shots to improve to 3-1-1 on the season.
- Northeastern scored a shorthanded goal for the second straight game.
The Huskies will open Hockey East play next weekend with a pair of home games against Boston University (Oct. 24) and Providence (Oct. 25).