|1st||2:26||PRV||1-0||EV||Lexi Romanchuk (7)||Cassidy MacPherson/11|
|1st||15:19||NOE||1-1||EV||Paige Savage (11)||McKenna Brand/11, Halle Silva/7|
|2nd||3:38||PRV||2-1||EV||Kate Friesen (6)||Cassidy MacPherson/12, Ariana Buxman/3|
|2nd||17:16||NOE||2-2||EV||Kendall Coyne (45)||Hayley Scamurra/26, Heather Mottau/15|
|2nd||17:52||NOE||3-2||EV GW||Ainsley MacMillan (3)||Paige Savage/16|
|2nd||18:08||NOE||4-2||EV||Jordan Krause (5)||Kendall Coyne/32|
|3rd||2:22||NOE||5-2||EV||Kendall Coyne (46)||Hayley Scamurra/27, Denisa Křížová/35|
|Shots on Goal||1st||2nd||3rd||SOG|
|Team Stats and Records||PP||PIM||SHGF|
|Madison Myers (L, 9-13-2)||55:16||5||13||16||13||42|
|Sarah Foss (W, 8-1-0)||60:00||2||12||10||11||33|
BOSTON, Mass. - The No. 6 Northeastern women's hockey team (27-7-1) scored three goals in a 52-second span late in the second period to take control of Friday's game one of the WHEA quarterfinals in a 5-2 win over Providence (10-23-2) at Matthews Arena.
Senior Kendall Coyne scored two goals and added an assist to tie Vicky Sunohara's single-season program record for points in a season with 78. Coyne ignited the Huskies late in the second period with her 45th goal of the year to tie the game at 2-2, before goals by sophomore Ainsley MacMillan and senior Jordan Krause quickly gave NU a 4-2 cushion less than a minute later.
Redshirt junior Paige Savage added a goal and an assist, and junior Sarah Foss turned away 33 shots to help the Huskies tie a single-season program record with their 27th win of the year.
- Providence took the lead just 2:26 into the game when Cassidy MacPherson touched the puck back to Lexi Romanchuk at the point for a shot that zipped through traffic and into the back of the net.
- Northeastern tied the game at 1-1 with 4:41 to play in the opening period when McKenna Brand centered for Savage to whack home at the left of the net.
- The Friars regained the lead 3:38 into the second stanza when Kate Friesen's point shot found the back of the net through a maze of bodies in front.
- The Huskies responded with three goals in a span of 52 seconds to take a 4-2 lead through 40 minutes. Coyne tied the score at 2-2 at the 17:16 mark of the second period when she redirected a Hayley Scamurra point shot inside the right post.
- MacMillan gave NU its first lead when she directed home a rebound in the slot following a Savage shot to make it 3-2 with 2:08 to play in the second.
- Just 16 seconds later, Krause made it 4-2 when she scooped up a loose puck in the high slot and slid a shot through traffic and inside the left post with 1:52 left in the frame.
- Coyne bumped the cushion to 5-2 just 2:22 into the third when she tipped home a Scamurra centering pass.
Stats of the Game
- Northeastern won its 27th game of the year to tie a single-season program record.
- Coyne notched three points to tie Vicky Sunohara's single-season program scoring record (78 points).
- Coyne is one of only five NCAA women's hockey players since the year 2000 to score at least 46 goals in a season, joining Nicole Corriero (Harvard), Jennifer Botterill (Harvard), Hilary Knight (Wisconsin) and Amanda Kessel (Minnesota).
- MacMillan netted her second game-winning goal of the season (Nov. 6 at Maine).
- Foss improved to 8-1-1 with the victory.
- With two assists, Scamurra eclipsed the 40-point plateau on the season.
- The Huskies outshot the Friars by a 47-35 margin.
Northeastern and Providence will square off in game two of the WHEA quarterfinals on Saturday at Matthews Arena at 2 p.m.