|1st||0:50||NOE||1-0||EV||Kendall Coyne (5)||Jordan Krause/2, Ainsley MacMillan/1|
|1st||4:28||NOE||2-0||EV||Kendall Coyne (6)||Denisa Křížová/3|
|1st||7:00||SYR||1-2||EV||Nicole Ferrara (1)||Melissa Piacentini/1, Stephanie Grossi/2|
|1st||12:05||NOE||3-1||PP||Shelby Herrington (2)||Jordan Krause/3, Lauren Kelly/1|
|1st||15:18||SYR||2-3||PP||Megan Quinn (1)||Larissa Martyniuk/1, Jessica Sibley/1|
|2nd||17:35||NOE||4-2||EV||Shelby Herrington (3)||Kasidy Anderson/3, Christina Zalewski/2|
|3rd||0:07||SYR||3-4||PP||Melissa Piacentini (2)||Nicole Renault/1|
|3rd||14:15||NOE||5-3||PP GW||Taytum Clairmont (1)||Lauren Kelly/2, McKenna Brand/2|
|3rd||16:47||SYR||4-5||EV||Melissa Piacentini (3)||Nicole Ferrara/1, Stephanie Grossi/3|
|Shots on Goal||1st||2nd||3rd||SOG|
|Team Stats and Records||PP||PIM||SHGF|
|Jenn Gilligan (L, 0-2-0)||58:41||5||6||11||6||23|
|Sarah Foss (W, 1-0-0)||59:57||4||11||11||11||33|
BOSTON - Sophomore Shelby Herrington and senior Kendall Coyne each scored twice to help the No. 10 Northeastern women's hockey team (2-0-1) nip Syracuse, 5-4, on Friday afternoon at Matthews Arena.
Sophomore Taytum Clairmont netted the game-winning goal in the third period, while senior Jordan Krause and sophomore Lauren Kelly chipped in two assists apiece.
Junior Sarah Foss picked up her first win of the 2015-16 season with 33 saves, including 11 in a frantic third period, as NU stayed unbeaten and dropped the Orange to 0-2-0.
- Coyne lit the lamp just 50 seconds into the first period with a backhand finish on a breakaway.
- The senior scored again less than four minutes later, taking a feed from sophomore Denisa Krizova in the right corner, before cutting to the net and stashing home her sixth goal in the first three games.
- Syracuse cut the deficit to 2-1 when Nicole Ferrara nudged a shot by Foss at the 7:00 mark.
- The Huskies responded with a power-play goal from Herrington at 12:05 to make it 3-1. After SU netminder Jenn Gilligan (23 saves) denied Herrington on a tipped shot in front, the Huskies' sophomore followed the play and buried the rebound on the doorstep.
- The Orange closed out a five-goal first period when Megan Quinn's point shot zipped through traffic and over the shoulder of Foss to make it 3-2 at 15:18.
- Herrington recorded her first collegiate two-goal game when she netted her third goal of the year at 17:35 of the second period. After some nifty work by sophomore Christina Zalewski along the boards, freshman Kasidy Anderson picked up the puck and centered for a cutting Herrington, who swatted it by Gilligan to make it 4-2 late in the frame.
- Syracuse cut the deficit to 4-3 just seven seconds into the third on a twisted wrister by Melissa Piacentini from the top of the left circle.
- Northeastern responded with a crucial insurance goal at the 14:15 mark. On another power play, Kelly tossed a shot at the net from the left circle that was redirected home by Clairmont to make it 5-3.
- Syracuse again pulled back within one at 16:47 when Piacentini jammed home a loose puck on the doorstep after Nicole Ferrara's initial shot struck the right post.
Stats of the Game
- Herrington notched her first collegiate two-goal game.
- Zalewski recorded a point for the third straight game.
- The Orange held a 37-28 advantage in shots.
- Both teams scored twice on the power play.
- The Huskies will look to extend their unbeaten streak to four on Saturday against Lindenwood. Opening faceoff from Matthews Arena is set for 2 p.m.