|1st||4:10||NOE||1-0||PP||Shelby Herrington (1)||Paige Savage/3, Kasidy Anderson/2|
|1st||7:17||BU||1-1||EV||Natasza Tarnowski (2)||Samantha Sutherland/2, Deziray De Sousa/1|
|2nd||2:02||NOE||2-1||EV||Shelby Herrington (2)||Paige Savage/4, Heather Mottau/4|
|2nd||4:38||NOE||3-1||EV GW||Ainsley MacMillan (1)||Lauren Kelly/2, Paige Savage/5|
|2nd||13:55||NOE||4-1||EV||Paige Capistran (1)||Shelby Herrington/1|
|2nd||14:52||BU||2-4||EV||Mary Parker (6)||Victoria Bach/6, Nina Rodgers/3|
|3rd||12:25||NOE||5-2||EV||Denisa Křížová (5)||McKenna Brand/4, Lauren Kelly/3|
|3rd||19:59||NOE||6-2||EV EN||Paige Savage (2)||Denisa Křížová/5|
|Shots on Goal||1st||2nd||3rd||SOG|
|Team Stats and Records||PP||PIM||SHGF|
|Boston University (3-2-1)||0/7||7/14||0|
|Boston University Goaltending||MIN||GA||1||2||3||Saves|
|Erin O'Neil (L, 1-1-1)||57:46||5||12||8||12||32|
|Brittany Bugalski (W, 4-1-1)||60:00||2||9||8||16||33|
BOSTON - Senior Paige Savage racked up four points and junior Shelby Herrington added two goals and an assist as the Northeastern women's hockey team (4-2-1, 1-0-0 WHEA) opened Hockey East play with a 6-2 victory over rival Boston University (3-2-1, 2-2-0 WHEA) on Tuesday night at Matthews Arena.
Junior Denisa Krizova, junior Ainsley MacMillan and freshman Paige Capistran also scored for Northeastern as the Huskies extended their unbeaten streak to five straight games (4-0-1).
Sophomore goaltender Brittany Bugalski-the reigning WHEA Defensive Player of the Week-continued her stellar play in net with a season-high 33 saves. Bugalski was especially sharp on the penalty kill as the Huskies were able to negate all seven BU power plays on the night.
- The Huskies grabbed the lead at the 4:10 mark of the opening period on a power-play goal from Herrington. Savage initiated the play with a shot from between the circles that forced BU netminder Erin O'Neil (32 saves) to spill the rebound into the low slot for Herrington to blast home.
- Boston University tied the score just over three minutes later when Natasza Tarnowski shoveled a rebound over the shoulder of Bugalski from the left of the cage.
- Herrington added her second of the game just 2:02 into the second stanza when she collected a loose puck between the circles and whipped the disc home inside the left post to make it 2-1.
- MacMillan added to the lead at 4:38 of the period with a rocket that knocked the water bottle off the top of the cage following a terrific play by junior Lauren Kelly to hold the puck in the zone.
- Capistran then scored her first collegiate goal at 13:55 of the middle period. After forcing a turnover in the neutral zone, Herrington skated into the BU end and found Capistran wide open in the slot for a shot that glanced off the left post and in to make it 4-1.
- BU reduced the deficit to 4-2 just 57 seconds later when Mary Parker poked home a rebound in the crease following a shot by Victoria Bach.
- The Huskies answered at 12:25 of the third period when junior McKenna Brand poked the puck by an onrushing O'Neil, allowing Krizova to bury the disc into the open net.
- Savage capped the game with an empty-netter in the final seconds with a long shot from the neutral zone off a feed from Krizova.
- The Huskies extended their unbeaten streak to five straight games, which ranks as the third-longest current streak in the nation (Wisconsin and Robert Morris - 6)
- NU killed off all seven BU power plays. The Huskies' penalty kill ranks seventh in the country with a 91.4% clip this season.
- Savage recorded her second career four-point game (Jan. 4, 2013 at Clarkson).
- Herrington posted her second career three-point game (Nov. 21, 2015 vs. Vermont) and her third career two-goal game.
- Capistran notched her first collegiate goal.
- Krizova and Brand each extended their point streaks to six straight games.
- Bugalski improved to 4-2-0 all-time against Boston University.
The Huskies will travel to Dartmouth on Friday for a 7 p.m. contest against the Big Green.