|1st||5:08||BU||1-0||EV||Mary Parker (1)||Victoria Bach/1|
|1st||14:54||BU||2-0||EV||Samantha Sutherland (1)||Sammy Davis/1, Abby Cook/1|
|2nd||4:17||PRV||1-2||EV||Cassidy Carels (1)||-|
|3rd||5:46||BU||3-1||PP GW||Samantha Sutherland (2)||Nina Rodgers/1, Sammy Davis/2|
|3rd||6:15||PRV||2-3||EV||Cassidy Carels (2)||Kate Friesen/1|
|3rd||18:30||BU||4-2||PP||Maddie Elia (1)||Victoria Bach/2, Rebecca Leslie/1|
|3rd||19:13||BU||5-2||EV EN||Samantha Sutherland (3)||Sammy Davis/3|
|Shots on Goal||1st||2nd||3rd||SOG|
|Team Stats and Records||PP||PIM||SHGF|
|Boston University (1-0-0)||2/9||10/20||0|
|Madison Myers (L, 0-1-0)||59:53||4||7||13||8||28|
|Boston University Goaltending||MIN||GA||1||2||3||Saves|
|Victoria Hanson (W, 1-0-0)||59:48||2||7||11||16||34|
BOSTON - Senior Samantha Sutherland secured her first career hat trick to help lead the No. 10 Boston University women's ice hockey team to a 5-2 win over Providence in the Terriers' season opener on Sunday afternoon at Walter Brown Arena.
Final Score: #10 Boston University 5, Providence 2
Records: BU (1-0-0, 1-0-0 WHEA), Providence (0-1-0, 0-1-0 WHEA)
Location: Walter Brown Arena - Boston, Mass.
- Graduate student Mary Parker opened the scoring just 5:08 into the frame thanks to a pretty pass from junior Victoria Bach.
- Sutherland made it 2-0 at the 14:54 mark of the first period when she uncorked a slap shot past Providence netminder Madison Myers. Sophomore Sammy Davis and freshman Abby Cook each assisted on the goal.
- Providence cut it to 2-1 when Cassidy Carels notched an unassisted goal 4:17 into the second stanza.
- Sutherland regained the Terriers' two-goal lead 5:46 into the third with a power-play goal, the eventual game-winner, thanks to passes from Davis and junior Nina Rodgers.
- Carels made it 3-2 just 29 seconds later, but senior Maddie Elia's power-play marker from Bach and junior Rebecca Leslie with 1:30 left in regulation helped seal the win.
- Sutherland added an empty-netter to complete the hat trick thanks to another assist from Davis.
- Senior Victoria Hanson was terrific for the Terriers, turning aside 34 shots to pick up the victory.
- Sixteen of her saves came in the final frame and she stopped all 12 shots she saw on the power play.
SPECIAL TEAMS MAKE A DIFFERENCE
- BU was 2-of-9 on the power play, but more importantly, the Terriers were a perfect 7-of-7 on the penalty kill Sunday.
- Both power-play goals came in the third period
- Senior co-captain Alexis Crossley helped keep the Terriers ahead, 3-2, when she raced back to thwart a shorthanded breakaway bid by Providence.
- Sutherland's hat trick was the first of her career.
- Davis assisted on all three of Sutherland's goals; her previous single-game high for assists was two, set most recently on Nov. 15, 2015.
- Parker secured her first goal as a Terrier; she previously had 43 goals and 48 assists at Harvard
- Rodgers also tallied her first point at BU with an assist; she had notched 15 points (9g, 6a) in two seasons at Minnesota
- Cook's assist in the first period was the first of her collegiate career.
- BU will not play again until Oct. 7 when the Terriers host New Hampshire at Walter Brown Arena (7 p.m.).