PROVIDENCE, R.I. - The Providence College women's ice hockey team defeated Brown, 10-0, on Nov. 30 in the 25th Annual Mayor's Cup at Schneider Arena in Providence, R.I. It marked the fifth-consecutive Mayor's Cup victory for Providence as the team improved to 8-6-2 overall on the season. During the five-year stretch of Mayor's Cup titles for Providence, the Friars have outscored the Bears, 34-5. Brown, who last won the cup on Nov. 28, 2014 (2-1), dropped to 1-10-0 on the season. Sara Hjalmarsson (Bankeryd, Sweden) netted a career-high six points on three goals and three assists, which also set a Mayor's Cup single-game record for points.
Providence - 10 | Brown - 0
Providence - 8-6-2 | Brown 1-10-0
Schneider Arena - Providence, R.I.
GAME FLOW & NOTES:
- The Friars fired off five shots in the first 3:30 of play in the first period, including three on goal.
- On the Friars' sixth shot of attempt of the game (6:08), Lauren DeBlois (Lewiston, Maine) gave Providence a 1-0 lead on her second goal of the season.
- Isabelle Hardy (Oakville, Ontario) found the back of the net for her first career goal just two minutes and 19-seconds later (8:27) to give the Friars a 2-0 lead.
- The Friars cashed in on their first power-play opportunity of the game at 11:01 of the first period to take a 3-0 lead, as Sara Hjalmarsson netted her sixth goal of the season and team-best third power-play goal.
- Brown got its first power-play opportunity with 2:34 remaining in the first period, but the Friars were able to kill it off.
- Providence nearly took a 4-0 advantage in the closing seconds of play as Caroline Peterson (East Falmouth, Mass.) sent a shot off the cross bar.
- The Friars held a 16-5 advantage in shots during the opening 20 minutes of play, while Brown held a 10-8 edge in faceoffs.
- Providence got out on a 2-on-1 break led by Hjalmarsson just 5:09 into the second period. She fed the puck Hayley Lunny (Bedford, N.Y.) on the doorstep to put the Friars ahead, 4-0. It marked Lunny's fifth goal of the season.
- The Friars scored their second power-play goal of the game just shy of two-minutes later (7:06) as Meaghan Rickard (Coventry, R.I.) redirected the puck into the net off a feed from the left point.
- Lunny gave Providence a 6-0 lead with her second goal of the period at 9:50, as she redirected the puck in traffic in front of the net.
- Through two periods of action, the Friars held a 32-9 advantage in shots on goal.
- Hjalmarsson wasted no time getting Providence on the board in the third period as she notched her second power-play goal of the game just 24-seonds into the action.
- Hjalmarsson recorded the hat trick at the 6:02 mark of the third period as she put home a back-handed attempt on a breakaway. It marked just the second hat trick of her career, with the previous coming in her third career game as a Friar on Oct. 12, 2018 against Holy Cross.
- Whitney Dove and Ariane Julien finished off the scoring for the Friars with goals at 10:40 and 12:51, respectively.
- The Friars' 10 goals were the most scored by a team in Mayor's Cup history.
- Additionally, Providence's 10 goals are the most in a single game since Feb. 4, 2007 when the team defeated Vermont, 10-1.
- Hjalmarsson's six points are the most by a player in the 25 years of the Mayor's Cup. Cassidy MacPherson (2016), Cassidy Carels (2015) and Brooke Boquist (2015) held the previous mark for points with four each.
Hjalmarsson also tied the single-game record for goals (three), becoming just the third player to tally a hat trick in the 25-year history of the Mayor's Cup. Blair Parent scored three for the Friars in 2016 and Brown's Kristy Zamora netted three goals in 2001.
HOW THEY SCORED:
1-0 (Providence) - 6:08/1st - EV - Lauren DeBlois (Rickard/Julien) - from inside right circle
2-0 (Providence) - 8:27/1st - EV - Isabelle Hardy (Hjalmarsson/Barone) - off rebound
3-0 (Providence) - 11:01/1st - PP - Sara Hjalmarsson (Fransoo/DeBlois)
4-0 (Providence) - 5:09/2nd - EV - Hayley Lunny (Hjalmarsson) - 2-on-1 break
5-0 (Providence) - 7:06/2nd - PP - Meaghan Rickard (Dove/Hjalmarsson) - redirected pass from left point
6-0 (Providence) - 9:50/2nd - EV - Hayley Lunny (DeBlois/Burton) - pass from left side; deflected in front
7-0 (Providence) - 0:24/3rd - PP - Sara Hjalmarsson (Rice)
8-0 (Providence) - 6:02/3rd - EV - Sara Hjalmarsson (unassisted) - back-handed shot on breakaway
9-0 (Providence) - 10:40/3rd - EV - Whitney Dove (DeBlois) - one-timer from the point
10-0 (Providence) - 12:51/3rd - PP - Ariane Julien (Bjornson/McHugh) - blast from the top on power play
Providence - Clare Minnerath: 13 saves, 0 goals against; Katrina Broccoli, 3 saves, 0 goals against
Brown - Calla Isaac: 7 saves, 2 goals against; Hayley Kliczko, 29 saves, 8 goals against
Shots on goal: 46
Power plays: 4-4
Penalty kill: 4-4
Shots on goal: 16
Power plays: 0-4
Penalty kill: 0-4
PROVIDENCE COLLEGE GAME HIGHS:
Goals: Sara Hjalmarsson (3)
Assists: Sara Hjalmarsson (3); Lauren DeBLois (3)
Points: Sara Hjalmarsson (6) - Mayor's Cup single-game record
Providence will play a pair of Hockey East games against Connecticut on Dec. 5-6. The series will begin at Schneider Arena in Providence, R.I. on Thursday, Dec. 5 at 6:00 p.m. The two teams will return to the ice on Friday, Dec. 6 at 6:00 p.m. in Storrs, Conn. The home-and-home series against Connecticut marks the only games during the month of December for Providence. The Friars will return from the holiday break with two games at Vermont on Jan. 4-5.