PROVIDENCE, R.I. - The Providence College women's hockey team defeated the Merrimack College Warriors, 3-0, on Friday, January 31 at Schneider Arena. Providence improves to 15-10-2 on the season with a 12-8-0 conference mark. Sara Hjalmarsson scored her 16th goal of the season and eighth goal in the last nine games. Sandra Abstreiter recorded her second career shutout with 14 saves.
Providence - 3 | Merrimack - 0
Providence - 15-10-2 (12-8-0 HEAW) | Merrimack - 4-20-4 (1-16-4 HEAW)
Schneider Arena - Providence, R.I.
GAME FLOW & NOTES
- The Friars got on the board with 4:11 remaining in the first period. Ariane Julien (Saint-Hyacinthe, Quebec) played a stretch pass to Neve Van Pelt (Mitchell, Ontario) who skated in on net and pushed the puck past Lea-Kristine Demers for her fifth goal of the season.
- Lauren DeBlois (Lewiston, Maine) earned her 14th assist of the season on the play.
- The Friars outshot Merrimack 16-4 in the opening 20 minutes, forcing Demers to make 15 saves.
- Neither side could find the back of the net in the middle frame despite five power play opportunities combined. Providence stood strong on the penalty kill, allowing zero shots on three Merrimack power plays. The Friars recorded three shots total in their two power play chances.
- Providence led in shots, 27-7, with 20 minutes left to play.
- Sara Hjalmarsson (Bankeryd, Sweden) added an insurance goal with just over 11 minutes left in the third period. Providence scored its first power play goal of the night on its fifth opportunity. DeBlois picked up her second assist of the night after feeding Whitney Dove (Port Moody, British Columbia) at the point, Dove ripped a slap shot off the back wall that Hjalmarsson finished at the near post.
- The goal marked Hjalmarsson's 16th of the season, while Dove earned her 16th assist of her senior campaign.
- Isabelle Hardy (Oakville, Ontario) scored her third goal of the season to seal the 3-0 victory with an empty netter.
- Abstreiter earned her second shutout of the season stopping all 14 shots she faced.
HOW THEY SCORED
1-0 (PC) - 15:49/1st - EV - Neve Van Pelt (Julien, DeBlois) - Partial breakaway that Van Pelt pushed over Demers' glove side
2-0 (PC) - 8:07/3rd - PP - Sara Hjalmarsson (Dove, DeBlois) - Stuffed home near post after a rebound off the back wall
3-0 (PC) - 18:43/3rd - EN - Isabelle Hardy (Fransoo, Lunny) - Empty netter from center ice
Sandra Abstreiter (Providence) - 14 saves, 0 goals against
Lea-Kristine Demers (Merrimack) - 39 saves, 1 goal against
Power plays: 1-6
Penalty kill: 3-3
Power plays: 0-3
Penalty kill: 5-6
PC GAME HIGHS
Goals: Hjalmarsson, Hardy, Van Pelt (1)
Assists: DeBlois (2)
Points: DeBlois (2)
Shots: Rickard (7)
Providence travels to face the UConn Huskies on Saturday, Feb. 1. Puck drop is scheduled for 3:00 p.m.