PROVIDENCE, R.I. - The Providence College women's hockey team fell to the Maine Black Bears, 2-1, on Saturday, Feb. 8 at Schneider Arena. Lauren DeBlois (Lewiston, Maine) scored with 7:24 remaining in the third period but Providence failed to find the equalizer despite a late power play. Providence now holds a 15-11-4 overall record and 12-9-2 mark in the Hockey East.
Providence - 1 | Maine - 2
Providence - 15-11-4 (12-9-2 HEAW) | Maine - 12-12-7 (8-10-6 HEAW)
Schneider Arena - Providence, R.I.
GAME FLOW & NOTES
- Taylor Leech of Maine tallied the first goal of the game 6:32 into the first period. Tereza Vanisova put a shot on net at the edge of the crease that rebounded to Leech for the finish on the near post.
- Maine held a 1-0 lead at the end of opening period despite shots being level at nine apiece.
- Neither side could find the back of the cage in the second period, Providence had two power play opportunities to Maine's zero. The Friars put six shots on net through both power play chances.
- Avery Fransoo (North Battleford, Saskatchewan) was awarded a penalty shot with 6:59 left in the second period after she was tripped. Fransoo went to the backhand but was stopped by Carly Jackson. The penalty shot was Providence's first since Nov. 22, 2014 against Maine.
- Sandra Abstreiter (Freising, Germany) stopped 13 of 14 shots through the first two periods.
- Maine added an insurance goal 6:58 into the third period. Ali Beltz corralled the puck at the top of the right circle before sliding the puck towards net, the puck worked its way through traffic to the bottom left corner of the net.
- DeBlois found the back of the cage on her third goal of the season to bring the Friars within one, 2-1, with 7:24 remaining in the game. Ariane Julien (Saint-Hyacinthe, Quebec) slid the puck across the blue line as DeBlois ripped a slap shot from the right point to the top left corner of the net.
- Providence earned a late power play to give them a 6-on-4 advantage for the final 1:20 of play. The Friars put four shots on net but failed to find the equalizer.
- Abstreiter stopped 18-20 shots between the pipes.
HOW THEY SCORED
1-0 (Maine) - 6:32/1st - EV - Taylor Leech (Vanisova) - Rebound on the near post
2-0 (Maine) - 6:58/1st - EV - Ali Beltz (Kuoppala, Strandberg) - Wrist shot from the top of the right cirlce
2-1 (Providence) - 12:46/3rd - EV - Lauren DeBlois (Julien) - Slap shot from the right point
Sandra Abstreiter (Providence) - 18 saves, 2 goals against
Carly Jackson (Maine) - 43 saves, 1 goal against
Power plays: 0-4
Penalty kill: 1-1
Power plays: 0-1
Penalty kill: 4-4
PC GAME HIGHS
Goals: DeBlois (1)
Assists: Julien (1)
Points: DeBlois, Julien (1)
Shots: Dove (9)
Providence will play Northeastern in a home-and-home series next weekend. The Friars will travel to Boston, Mass. for the series opener on Friday, Feb. 14 at 7:00 p.m. before hosting the Huskies on Saturday, Feb. 15 at 3:00 p.m.