CHESTNUT HILL, Mass. - The eighth-ranked Boston College women's hockey team received goals from Willow Corson, Alexie Guay, and Savannah Norcross, while Kelly Pickreign made 25 saves for the win as team extended its win streak to four games by defeating Holy Cross, 3-2, on Friday afternoon at Kelley Rink.
After a scoreless first period that saw the Eagles outshoot the Crusaders 13-6, it would be Holy Cross that took a 1-0 lead at 3:38 of the second frame. But with just 1:17 left in the period, Hannah Bilka and Corson worked a give-and-go where Corson would find the back of the net tying the game at 1-1. In the early stages of the third period, Guay gave the Eagles their first lead of the afternoon but the Crusaders grabbed the equalizer just 26 seconds later to even up the game at 2-2 with 16:54 to play in the final stanza.
But the line of Olivia Finnocchiaro, Kelly Browne, Norcross connected for the game-winning goal when Norcross found the back of the net with just 4:36 left to play in the third period.
Pickreign finished with 25 saves in net for the Eagles in earning her third win of the season while Jada Brenon stopped 34 shots for Holy Cross.
The Eagles went 0-for-2 on the power play and held Holy Cross to 0-for-2. BC held the 37-27 lead in shots on goal in the game.
No. 8 Boston College 3, Holy Cross 2
Friday, Jan. 15, 2021 | 2 p.m.
Kelley Rink | Chestnut Hill, Mass.
2nd, 18:43 | 1-0, HC GOAL: From the top of the right circle, Allison Attea sent a wrister over the glove of Kelly Pickreign.
2nd, 3:38 | 1-1, BC GOAL: Willow Corson walked up the near side half wall and bumped it down low to Hannah Bilka. Bilka then took the puck along the goal line and centered in front to Corson who would back handed it over the glove of Jada Brenon.
3rd, 2:40 | 2-1, BC GOAL: After a breakaway save from Pickreign, the Eagles worked up the ice and turned the situation nto a two-on-two attack entering the zone. Maegan Beres dropped the puck back at the top of the left circle for Alexie Guay and she dragged the puck to the inner left dot and snapped a wrist shot low far side into the back of the net.
3rd, 3:06 | 2-2, HC GOAL: An initial point shot created a rebound at the side of the post where Ellie Sirum stood to jam the puck home.
3rd, 15:24 | 3-2, BC GOAL: Olivia Finnocchiaro dished a pass over to the left circle to Kelly Browne who in turn found Savannah Norcross racing down the high slot and Norcross blasted a wrist shot off the left post and in.
- BC now holds a 7-0-0 record in the all-time series with Holy Cross ... the Eagles are 4-0-0 at Kelley Rink ... head coach Katie Crowley is 7-0-0 all-time against the Crusaders.
- Maegan Beres, Hadley Hartmetz, Olivia Finnocchiaro, Kelly Browne, Hannah Bilka, and Willow Corson all registered assists.
- Willow Corson scored her third goal of the season and now has four points (2-2-4) in her last three games ... the Eagles are 19-1-1 all-time when the senior records a point and 10-0-0 when she scores a goal.
- Kelly Browne now needs just one point to become the 33rd player in program history to reach 75 points ... she tallied one assist and led all skaters with nine shots on goal ... Browne also won 17 of 22 (77%) faceoffs in the game.
- Savannah Norcross now leads the nationa and Hockey East in scoring with 13 points (6-7-13).
- Hannah Bilka now has nine points (5-4-9) in four career games vs. the Crusaders.
Holy Cross: 3-9-0, 3-9-0 HEA
Boston College: 8-3-0, 8-3-0 HEA
Boston College will finish the home and home vs. Holy Cross tomorrow at 6:30 p.m. at the Hart Center Rink.