Boston University Skates to 3-3 Tie Against Union
Senior Evan Rodrigues scores game-tying goal for Terriers

Senior Evan Rodrigues scored the game-tying goal for the Terriers
Prd Time  Team Score Type Scored By Assists
1st 5:47  BU1-0 EV A.J. Greer (2)Matt Grzelcyk/8, Nick Roberto/4
1st 6:25  UNI1-1 EV Spencer Foo (8)Matt Wilkins/2, Mike Vecchione/17
1st 8:51  UNI2-1 SH Daniel Ciampini (12) -
1st 13:42  BU2-2 EV Nikolas Olsson (3)Brien Diffley/4, Cason Hohmann/9
3rd 14:24  UNI3-2 PP Mike Vecchione (9)Daniel Ciampini/13, Spencer Foo/9
3rd 15:44  BU3-3 PP GT Evan Rodrigues (6)Danny O'Regan/11, Matt Grzelcyk/9
Scoring 1st 2nd 3rd OT Final
Union  20103
Boston University  20103
Shots on Goal 1st 2nd 3rd OT SOG
Union  11711332
Boston University  13913136
Team Stats and Records  PP PIM SHGF
Union (10-7-2)  1/4 8/16 1
Boston University (11-3-3)  1/7 5/10 0
Union Goaltending MIN GA 1 2 3 OT Saves
Alex Sakellaropoulos (T, 2-2-2)65:003 11912133
Boston University Goaltending MIN GA 1 2 3 OT Saves
Matt O'Connor (T, 10-2-2)64:583 9710329
Empty Net0:020      

BOSTON - The top-ranked Boston University men's ice hockey team got a goal from senior Evan Rodrigues with 4:16 left in regulation to earn a 3-3 tie with defending national champion Union on Saturday evening at Agganis Arena.

The Terriers move to 11-3-3 on the year while the Dutchmen now stand at 11-7-2.

Both teams scored twice in the opening period before they traded power-play markers in the third stanza. The visiting Dutchmen held leads of 2-1 and 3-2 with the latter go-ahead goal coming with 5:36 remaining in regulation.

Just 80 seconds later, Rodrigues buried a cross-ice pass from junior Danny O'Regan at the right circle to create the third and final deadlock of the evening.

The Terriers also got goals from freshmen A.J. Greer and Nikolas Olsson while junior captain Matt Grzelcyk earned a pair of assists.

Junior Matt O'Connor made 29 saves in goal for the Terriers and Union sophomore Alex Sakellaropoulos turned aside 33 BU shots for the Dutchmen.

BU held a 33-29 shot advantage and scored on its seventh and final power-play opportunity of the night after coming empty of its first six. Union went 1-for-4 with the man advantage.

Greer opened the scoring just 5:47 into the game when he pounced on a puck that was sitting in the crease off a rebound from a shot by Grzelcyk. Sophomore Nick Roberto also assisted on the play.

Just 38 seconds later, Union's Spencer Foo knotted the contest off a set-up by Matt Wilkins. The visitors took a 2-1 lead at the 8:51 mark when Daniel Ciampini converted on a shorthanded breakaway.

BU got an equalizer before the first intermission, however, as a shot from the right point by Olsson went off a Union stick and in with 6:18 left in the opening frame.

Mike Vecchione, who assisted on the Dutchmen's first goal, created a 3-2 lead for the visitors with 5:35 left in regulation off slick power-play passing by Ciampini and Foo.

The Terriers will return to action next weekend when they visit Wisconsin for a pair of games on Jan. 9-10. Both contests will start at 8 p.m. ET.