Merrimack College Upends Maine, 6-4
Sophomore forward Brett Seney and junior forward Hampus Gustafsson each post goal and an assist for Warriors

Sophomore forward Brett Seney had a goal and an assist for the Warriors
Prd Time  Team Score Type Scored By Assists
1st 7:01  MER1-0 PP Hampus Gustafsson (8)Brett Seney/17, Mathieu Foget/6
1st 8:22  MNE1-1 EV Dan Renouf (6)CÚdric Lacroix/3, Andrew Tegeler/9
1st 12:50  MER2-1 EV Justin Hussar (6) -
1st 16:53  MER3-1 EV Marc Biega (4)Mathieu Foget/7
2nd 4:14  MER4-1 EV Brett Seney (7)Hampus Gustafsson/13, Ludvig Larsson/3
2nd 15:25  MER5-1 EV GW Michael Babcock (3)Chris LeBlanc/4, Derek Petti/6
2nd 17:33  MNE2-5 PP Will Merchant (11)Steven Swavely/8
2nd 19:19  MNE3-5 PP Will Merchant (12)Steven Swavely/9
3rd 4:46  MNE4-5 EV Eric Schurhamer (2)Brendan Robbins/5, Steven Swavely/10
3rd 19:01  MER6-4 EV EN Ben Bahe (8)Jared Kolquist/11, Hampus Gustafsson/14
Scoring 1st 2nd 3rd Final
Merrimack  3216
Maine  1214
Shots on Goal 1st 2nd 3rd SOG
Merrimack  1112831
Maine  518730
Team Stats and Records  PP PIM SHGF
Merrimack (9-15-7)  1/4 4/8 0
Maine (7-20-6)  2/3 5/10 0
Merrimack Goaltending MIN GA 1 2 3 Saves
Collin Delia (W, 8-12-6)60:004 416626
Maine Goaltending MIN GA 1 2 3 Saves
Matt Morris24:144 83011
Rob McGovern (L, 1-11-3)34:231 07714
Empty Net1:231     

ORONO, Maine -- The University of Maine Men's ice hockey team falls to Merrimack 6-4 Friday night at Alfond Arena.

Maine falls to 7-20-6 on the season, 4-13-2 in Hockey East play. Merrimack improves to 9-15-7 and 3-9-7 in Hockey East.

Matt Morris started in goal for Maine and Collin Delia was in net for Merrimack.

Five minutes into the first period, Maine was called of a tripping penalty. Merrimack took advantage of the power play opportunity and scored the first goal of the game by Hampus Gustafsson.

Minutes later, the Black Bears responded with a goal of their own by Dan Renouf and was assisted by Cedric Lacroix to tie the game at 1-1.

Merrimack had an aggressive first period offensive attack, Justin Hussar cleaned up his own rebound to regain the lead, 2-1.

Towards the end of the first period, defenseman Marc Biega scored to give the Warriors a 3-1 advantage.

Maine was outshot in the first period 11-5.

Merrimack opened the second with their third straight goal from Brett Seney and increase their lead 4-1. Matt Morris was replaced by Rob McGovern in goal for the Black Bears.

The Warriors scored their fifth goal of the night from Michael Babcock, 15:25 into the second to take a commanding 5-1 lead.

Merrimack was whistled for a cross checking penatly. On the power play, Maine's leading goal scorer Will Merchant trimmed the Warrior lead to 5-2.

One minute after the Black Bear power play goal, Maine was on the power play again after a slashing penalty was called on Merrimack. Will Merchant scored his second power play goal of the night to bring the score 5-3 Merrimack.

Maine outshot the Warriors 18-12 in the second period.

Four minutes into the third, Eric Schurhamer scored from the blue line to cut Merrimack's lead to one, 5-4.

Merrimack had a power play opportunity with 6:36 remaining in the game. Merrimack fired three shots on net but the Black Bears killed the penalty.

With under two minutes to play in the game, Maine elected to pull McGovern for the extra attacker. Merrimack was able to intercept the puck and skate for an empty net goal by Ben Bahe to clinch, 6-4.

Matt Morris finished with 11 saves, McGovern with 14 and Collin Delia had 26 saves.

Maine returns to action tomorrow night at 7:00 p.m. for Senior Night.