|1st||6:48||MIN||1-0||PP GW||Tommy Novak (1)||Justin Kloos/1, Michael Brodzinski/2|
|1st||8:50||MIN||2-0||EV||Jack Glover (1)||Hudson Fasching/1|
|1st||11:50||MIN||3-0||EV||Tyler Sheehy (1)||Jack Sadek/1|
|3rd||17:09||MIN||4-0||EV||Hudson Fasching (1)||Tommy Novak/1, Leon Bristedt/1|
|Shots on Goal||1st||2nd||3rd||SOG|
|Team Stats and Records||PP||PIM||SHGF|
|Derick Roy (L, 1-3-0)||11:50||3||1||0||0||1|
|Eric Schierhorn (W, 1-3-0)||60:00||0||8||9||6||23|
MINNEAPOLIS - No. 19 Minnesota (1-3-0) used a three-goal first period and 32 saves from Eric Schierhorn to skate to a 4-0 victory against the Northeastern men's ice hockey team (1-3-0) on Friday night at Mariucci Arena.
Freshman Ryan Ruck was a bright spot for the Huskies, making 21 saves in 48 minutes of relief work, including a big save using the inside of his blocker during a Gopher power play to keep the game at 3-0.
Minnesota received goals from four different scorers and outshot NU 26-23. The Gophers also went 1-of-5 on the man advantage while holding the Huskies to an 0-of-6 showing.
- Minnesota jumped out to a 1-0 lead with a power play tally nearly seven minutes into the game on Tommy Novak's first collegiate tally. After Justin Kloos received a pass from Michael Brodzinski, Kloos ripped a shot from just inside the point that rang off the crossbar before catching Derick Roy in the back. The puck then sat in the crease, and Novak was there to knock home the rebound.
- Jack Glover put the hosts up 2-0 two minutes after the Novak tally when Jack Glover scooped up a pass from Hudson Fasching and sent a shot in from the right dot that beat Roy five-hole for Glover's first as a Gopher.
- With 8:10 to go in the first period, Tyler Sheehy gave the Gophers a 3-0 edge with a blistering shot from between the hashmarks that went over the right shoulder of Roy and in for Sheehy's first of the year. Following the goal, Ryan Ruck took over between the pipes for Northeastern.
- After Ruck stymied the Gophers for nearly 40 minutes, Minnesota added a fourth goal with 2:51 left in regulation on Hudson Fasching's first of the season. With the Gophers controlling the puck below the NU goal line, Novak hit Fasching with a pass in the slot, who beat Ruck five-hole for the score.
Stats of the game:
- Northeastern is now 6-7-0 all-time against Minnesota.
- Ryan Ruck made a career-high 21 saves in goal.
- Jon Barry dressed in his first collegiate game on Friday.
The road ahead:
The Huskies and Gophers will meet again in the series finale tomorrow night at Mariucci Arena. Puck drop is slated for 9 p.m. (ET) on FOX Sports North.