|1st||12:30||VER||1-0||EV||Anthony Petruzzelli (2)||Tom Forgione/2, Jonathan Turk/1|
|1st||17:56||VER||2-0||EV||Jarrid Privitera (4)||Mario Puskarich/3|
|3rd||3:53||NOE||1-2||PP||Dylan Sikura (1)||Eric Williams/3, Zach Aston-Reese/3|
|3rd||5:54||NOE||2-2||PP||John Stevens (4)||Kevin Roy/3, Matt Benning/1|
|3rd||13:46||VER||3-2||EV GW||Dan Senkbeil (1)||-|
|Shots on Goal||1st||2nd||3rd||SOG|
|Team Stats and Records||PP||PIM||SHGF|
|Mike Santaguida (W, 2-4-0)||60:00||2||7||3||11||21|
|Ryan Ruck (L, 0-2-0)||58:58||3||4||6||8||18|
BOSTON - After battling back from a 2-0 deficit to tie the score with 14:06 left in regulation, the Northeastern men's ice hockey team (1-5-0, 0-1-0) saw Vermont (2-4-0, 0-1-0) respond with the eventual game-winner from Dan Senkbeil with 6:14 to play, and the Catamounts hung on to take a 3-2 win from the Huskies on Thursday night at Matthews Arena.
Dylan Sikura and John Stevens each scored from the Huskies, with both goals coming two minutes apart during a five-minute power play for Northeastern. Ryan Ruck made 18 stops in his second straight start, while Mike Santaguida had 21 saves for UVM.
NU held a slight 23-21 edge in shots on goal in the game, and won 40-of-61 face-offs. Northeastern cashed in twice on the power play, going 2-of-7, while Vermont was held to a 0-of-2 showing.
- Despite Northeastern carrying the play for most of the opening 12 minutes of play, Vermont drew first blood with 7:30 to go in the first period on Anthony Petruzzeli's second goal of the year. Tom Forgione began the play by skating the puck along the wall before dishing a pass out to Petruzzeli in the slot for a low shot that beat Ruck five-hole for a 1-0 Catamount lead.
- The Catamounts extended their lead to 2-0 five minutes after the Petruzzelli tally, capitalizing on a turnover in the Northeastern zone. After Jarrid Privitera forced a turnover behind the NU goal, his tossed a shot on goal that Ruck steered aside, but Mario Puskarich was able to shovel the puck back to Privitera, who beat Ruck for his fourth of the year.
- Northeastern made it a one-goal game during a five-minute power play opportunity after Ori Abramson was called for boarding, and Dylan Sikura took advantage with his first of the season. After taking a feed from Eric Williamsbelow the dot, Sikura sped towards the net and roofed a shot from a tough angle over the shoulder of Santaguida to make it 2-1.
- Two minutes later, John Stevens leveled the score at two when a wrist shot fro the slot, beating Santaguida over the right should. Matt Benning began the paly with a dish to Kevin Roy at the point. Roy then eluded a defender before finding Stevens, who did the rest for his fourth goal of the season.
- Vermont took the lead once again with 6:14 to go in the third period on Dan Senkbeil's first goal of the year, skating the puck through the neutral zone before sending a shot on goal that got up and over the shoulder of Ruck for the score.
Stats of the game:
- Northeastern is now 23-30-6 all-time against Vermont, and 13-13-6 all-time Hockey East openers.
- John Stevens scored his fourth goal of the year in just his sixth game. He had four goals in 36 games last season.
- Roy's assist moved him into sole possession of 25th in career assists at Northeastern.
The road ahead:
Northeastern and Vermont will face-off again on Saturday night at Gutterson Fieldhouse in Burlington, Vermont. Puck drop is slated for 7:05 p.m.