|2nd||4:00||PRV||1-0||PP||Josh Wilkins (7)||Brandon Duhaime/5, Bryan Lemos/4|
|2nd||8:22||BC||1-1||EV||Michael Kim (3)||Austin Cangelosi/8|
|3rd||16:49||BC||2-1||PP GW||David Cotton (7)||JD Dudek/4, Julius Mattila/5|
|3rd||18:52||BC||3-1||EV EN||Austin Cangelosi (9)||Ryan Fitzgerald/12, Scott Savage/11|
|Shots on Goal||1st||2nd||3rd||SOG|
|Team Stats and Records||PP||PIM||SHGF|
|Boston College (14-7-2)||1/4||6/12||0|
|Boston College Goaltending||MIN||GA||1||2||3||Saves|
|Joseph Woll (W, 11-6-1)||59:58||1||4||15||9||28|
|Hayden Hawkey (L, 8-7-4)||58:55||2||16||9||8||33|
BOSTON, Mass. - Freshman forward David Cotton broke a 1-1 tie with 3:11 remaining in the third period and the Eagles would add an empty-netter as Boston College earned a 3-1 win against Providence at Frozen Fenway on Sunday.
No. 8 Boston College - 3 / Providence - 1
Fenway Park / Frozen Fenway / Boston
No. 8 Boston College - (14-7-2 / 9-1-1) / Providence (8-7-4 / 1-5-2)
BC HIGHLIGHTS & GAME NOTES
- David Cotton scored his seventh goal of the season with 3:11 left in regulation, standing as the game winner at Frozen Fenway on Sunday evening. The Parker, Texas native has accounted for game-winning goals and four power play goals in 23 games as an Eagle. Cotton is one of eight skaters in all of college hockey with four game-winning goals this season.
- Austin Cangelosi snapped an 11-game goal-scoring drought by netting the game winner on Sunday night at Fenway Park. The goal stood as the Estero, Fla. native's 100th-career point as Cangelosi added an assist on Michael Kim's equalizer midway through the second period. - Sophomore Michael Kim tied the game at 8:22 of the second period, marking his third goal of the season.
- Ryan Fitzgerald returned to the lineup after missing the last six games with a lower body injury. The North Reading, Mass. native assisted on Cangelosi's 100th-career point on the empty netter.
- Jerry York is 9-3-1 over Providence head coach Nate Leaman.
- Boston College is now 3-1 all-time in outdoor games at Fenway.
FIRST GOAL (1-0 - PC) SECOND PERIOD - Josh Wilkins - 4:00 - POWER PLAY
- Providence attacked on its third power play opportunity of the night, four minutes into the power play. Bryan Lamos got the puck down to Brandom Duhaime behind the net to Joseph Woll's right. Josh Wilkins slipped through the circles with the extra room and popped Duhaime's one-timer pass over Woll's glove for the 1-0 lead with the extra man.
SECOND GOAL (1-1 - BC) SECOND PERIOD - Michael Kim - 8:22 - EVEN STRENGTH
- The Eagles returned the favor on a quick-hit goal by Michael Kim just about four minutes later at 8:22 of the second period. Austin Cangelosi cleanly won a faceoff in Providence's zone off the right circle. Cangelosi swatted it back and Kim stepped into it and blasted it from the top of the right circle to knot it up, 1-1.
THIRD GOAL (2-1 - BC) THIRD PERIOD - David Cotton - 16:49 - POWER PLAY
- David Cotton broke the 1-1 standoff with a power play rip with 3:11 left in regulation. Julius Mattila worked the cycle and relayed the puck below the net to JD Dudek. Cotton carved through the defense and beat Hayden Hawkey with a quick wrister at 16:49 of the third period to claim the first Boston College lead of the night.
FOURTH GOAL (3-1 - BC) THIRD PERIOD - Austin Cangelosi - 18:52 - EMPTY NET
- Austin Cangelosi iced the game by scoring an empty net goal with 1:08 left to play. Providence pulled its Hawkey for the extra attacker and a broken play down low led to the empty netter. Scott Savage poked the puck loose to Ryan Fitzgerald on the far boards and the Eagles were off to the races. Cangelosi accepted R. Fitzgerald's short pass in the neutral zone and skated the length of the ice to score the empty netter at 18:52 of the third to claim the 3-1 victory.
BOSTON COLLEGE GAME LEADERS
Points: Austin Cangelosi (1 - 1 - 2)
Goals: Michael Kim (1 - 0 - 1) / David Cotton (1 - 0 - 1) / Austin Cangelosi (1 - 0 - 1)
Assists: Austin Cangelosi (0 - 1 - 1) / JD Dudek (0 - 1 - 1) / Julius Mattila (0 - 1 - 1) / Ryan Fitzgerald (0 - 1 - 1) / Scott Savage (0 - 1 - 1)
Shots: David Cotton ( 6 )
Faceoffs Won: Austin Cangelosi (17 - of - 26)
Boston College: 1 - for - 4
Providence: 1 - for - 4
Boston College: 6 - of - 12
Providence: 6 - of - 12
BOSTON COLLEGE LINES
R. Fitzgerald - Cangelosi - Brown
Cotton - Gaudreau - Dudek
McPhee - Jul. Mattila - Calnan
Greco - Booth - Walker
Jes. Mattila - Moore
McInnis - Savage
Kim - C. Fitzgeral
Boston College will prepare for archrival, Boston University, Friday night, Jan. 13 at Agganis Arena. Game time is set for 7 p.m.