|1st||15:19||NDM||1-0||EV||Mike O'Leary (2)||Dawson Cook/5, Ben Ostlie/1|
|2nd||9:21||BU||1-1||PP||Kieffer Bellows (7)||Bobo Carpenter/16, Dante Fabbro/10|
|2nd||16:30||BU||2-1||EV GW||John MacLeod (2)||Ryan Cloonan/5, Kieffer Bellows/6|
|3rd||4:08||BU||3-1||EV||Clayton Keller (18)||Dante Fabbro/11, Patrick Harper/21|
|3rd||16:30||BU||4-1||EV||Clayton Keller (19)||Bobo Carpenter/17, Patrick Harper/22|
|Shots on Goal||1st||2nd||3rd||SOG|
|Team Stats and Records||PP||PIM||SHGF|
|Notre Dame (19-10-5)||0/4||5/10||0|
|Boston University (21-10-3)||1/4||5/10||0|
|Notre Dame Goaltending||MIN||GA||1||2||3||Saves|
|Cal Petersen (L, 19-10-5)||60:00||4||11||12||9||32|
|Boston University Goaltending||MIN||GA||1||2||3||Saves|
|Jake Oettinger (W, 18-9-3)||60:00||1||12||14||14||40|
BOSTON - The No. 6/5 Boston University men's ice hockey team claimed a share of the Hockey East regular season title for the 10th time in program history after closing out the schedule with a 4-1 victory over visiting Notre Dame on Saturday evening at Agganis Arena.
Final Score: #6/5 Boston University 4, #13/14 Notre Dame 1
Records: BU (21-10-3, 13-6-3 Hockey East), Notre Dame (19-10-5, 12-6-4 Hockey East)
Location: Agganis Arena - Boston, Mass.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Terriers shook off a first-period Notre Dame goal by scoring twice in each of the final two periods en route to a 4-1 victory on Senior Night.
- After Mike O'Leary gave the visitors a 1-0 lead, freshman Kieffer Bellows scored a power-play goal at 9:21 of the second when he tucked in a rebound at the crease to knot the game.
- A blast by junior John MacLeod from the right point found the back of the net with 3:30 left in the second to give the Terriers their first lead of the weekend.
- Freshman Clayton Keller extended the lead and sealed the victory by scoring twice in the third to raise his team-leading goal and point totals to 19 and 38, respectively.
- Freshman netminder Jake Oettinger matched a career high by turning aside 40 shots while the Irish got a 32-save performance from Cal Petersen.
- Bellows added an assist for his second two-point night in the past three games while fellow freshmen Dante Fabbro and Patrick Harper picked up two assists apiece.
- BU will now share the Hockey East regular season title with both UMass Lowell and Boston College and enter the league tournament as the No. 2 seed.
- Both the Terriers and the River Hawks swept Boston College, thus giving the Eagles the No. 3 seed. UMass Lowell will be the No. 1 seed by virtue of their league wins (13 to BU's 12).
- The Terriers went undefeated (16-0-1) during the regular season in games in which they held a lead in at least one intermission lead.
- Prior to the game, BU honored its three seniors (Tommy Kelley, Nick Roberto, Doyle Somerby) who became the first Terriers to play all four of their seasons with David Quinn as head coach and also honored senior Sam Kelley, who has been the team's video coordinator for the past four yeas.
- This was Keller's third multi-goal performance of his rookie campaign.
- BU went 1-for-4 on the power play and successfully killed off all four of the Irish's chances with the man advantage.
- The Terriers will take a 13-day break from their schedule and await their opponent in the Hockey East quarterfinal round, which begins on Friday, March 10.
- BU could face any one of these five teams: Merrimack, Northeastern, Connecticut, New Hampshire, Maine.