|1st||6:20||CON||1-0||EV DP||Brian Morgan (5)||-|
|1st||8:34||PRV||1-1||EV||Erik Foley (11)||Hayden Hawkey/1|
|2nd||0:29||CON||2-1||EV||Spencer Naas (14)||Tage Thompson/11, Rob Nichols/1|
|2nd||4:05||PRV||2-2||PP||Brian Pinho (9)||Erik Foley/14, Jacob Bryson/16|
|2nd||14:03||PRV||3-2||EV||Erik Foley (12)||Josh Wilkins/15, Brian Pinho/20|
|3rd||7:42||CON||3-3||PP||Brian Morgan (6)||Tage Thompson/12, Joseph Masonius/9|
|3rd||13:04||PRV||4-3||PP GW||Erik Foley (13)||Brian Pinho/21, Jake Walman/14|
|Shots on Goal||1st||2nd||3rd||SOG|
|Team Stats and Records||PP||PIM||SHGF|
|Rob Nichols (L, 4-6-4)||59:05||4||16||21||11||48|
|Hayden Hawkey (W, 18-8-4)||59:38||3||7||4||4||15|
PROVIDENCE, R.I. - Sophomore Erik Foley recorded his first career hat trick, including the game-winning goal with 6:56 to play as the No. 11/12 Providence College men's hockey team edged UConn, 4-3, on Friday night at Schneider Arena. With the win, the Friars extended the second longest winning streak in the NCAA this season to nine games.
No. 11/12 Providence - 4 | UConn - 3
Providence - 18-8-4 (10-6-2 HEA) | UConn - 10-12-8 (6-8-4 HEA)
Schneider Arena - Providence, R.I.
GAME FLOW & NOTES
- Prior to the game, the program retired the jerseys Friar hockey legends Lou Lamoriello, Ron Wilson, and Cammi Granato.
- The Huskies got on the board first just 6:20 in as Brian Morgan's net drive found a crease past Hawkey on a delayed penalty.
- Erik Foley notched his first of three on the night after going coast-to-coast and finishing off his rebound. Hayden Hawkey recorded his first career assist on the play.
- Providence outshot the Huskies by a 17-8 margin in the first period and has outshot opponents 92-35 in the first period over the past six games.
- UConn regained the lead just 29 seconds in the middle frame on Spencer Naas' 14th goal of the season.
- The Friars responded on the power play just 3:36 later as Brian Pinho found a seam through Rob Nichols' short side to knot the game at 2-2.
- Foley gave the Friars a 3-2 lead at the 14:03 mark when his wrap-around attempt deflected off of Nichols' pad and hit the back crossbar. After nearly three minutes of uninterrupted action, the Friars challenged the call on the ice and Foley was awarded his 12th goal of the season.
- UConn evened things up on the power play at the 7:42 mark of the third period as Brian Morgan struck for his second of the game.
- Josh Wilkins was awarded a penalty shot at 8:21 of the third, but was denied by Nichols to keep the game tied at three.
- Foley gave the Friars the lead for good with his first career hat trick and 13th goal of the season as he put back a re-direct from Brian Pinho to put Providence up 4-3. The hat trick was a first for a Friar forward since Nick Saracino vs. UConn on Feb. 7, 2015.
- Providence was 16-for-16 on the penalty kill over the past four games until Morgan's goal at 7:42 of the third period.
- Hayden Hawkey made 15 saves for the Friars for his 18th win of the season, while Rob Nichols stopped 48 for the Huskies.
- Brian Pinho extended his point streak to six games (3-5-8).
- Shots on goal: Providence 52, UConn 18. Shot attempts: Providence 84, UConn 45.
- The 52 shots on goal were a season high for the Friars.
- Shot blocks: Providence 11, UConn 18.
- The Friars are 13-2-2 over their last 17 games and have outscored opponents by a 55-32 margin over that span.
- Providence earned its fourth consecutive two-game sweep of an opponent.
HOW THEY SCORED
1-0 (UC) - 6:20/1st - EV - Brian Morgan (unassisted) - Net drive by Morgan yielded a shot that popped into the air and landed into the net.
1-1 (PC) - 8:34/1st - EV - Erik Foley (Hawkey) - Foley gathered a rebound from Hawkey, went coast-to-coast and finished off his own rebound.
2-1 (UC) - :29/2nd - EV - Spencer Naas (Thompson, Nichols) - Naas let a shot from the left wing go and it deflected off Desharnais' stick and over the shoulder of Hawkey.
2-2 (PC) 4:05/2nd - PP - Brian Pinho (Björkqvist, Foley) - Stuff shot from the short side.
3-2 (PC) - 14:03/2nd - EV - Erik Foley (Wilkins, Pinho) - Wrap-around that kicked off Nichols' pad and into the top shelf.
3-3 (UC) - 7:42/3rd - PP - Brian Morgan (Thompson, Masonius) - Wrist shot from the left circle over the blocker of Hawkey.
4-3 (PC) - 13:04/3rd - PP - Erik Foley (Pinho, Walman) - Pinho re-directed a Walman point shot and Foley jammed the rebound past Nichols.
PC GAME HIGHS
Points: Foley (3-1-4)
Goals: Foley (3)
Assists: Pinho (2)
Shots: Foley (7)
Face-offs: Pinho (15/23)
Connecticut - 1/5
The Friars will embark on a three-game road trip beginning in South Bend against Notre Dame next weekend. Both games against the Irish can be seen live on NBCSN and on the NBC Live Extra app.