|1st||2:35||UNH||1-0||PP||Liam Blackburn (7)||Shane Eiserman/4, Richard Boyd/3|
|1st||17:43||UNH||2-0||EV GW||Kohei Sato (1)||Max Gildon/13, Frankie Cefalu/2|
|2nd||12:46||UMA||1-2||EV||Mitchell Chaffee (11)||Oliver Chau/13, Cale Makar/12|
|3rd||10:59||UNH||3-1||PP||Marcus Vela (6)||Max Gildon/14|
|Shots on Goal||1st||2nd||3rd||SOG|
|Team Stats and Records||PP||PIM||SHGF|
|New Hampshire (10-13-5)||2/6||3/6||0|
|Ryan Wischow (L, 7-6-0)||57:03||3||6||3||5||14|
|New Hampshire Goaltending||MIN||GA||1||2||3||Saves|
|Daniel Tirone (W, 10-11-5)||60:00||1||9||9||8||26|
DURHAM, N.H. - Three Wildcats found the back of the net and senior goaltender Danny Tirone (Trumbull, Conn.) made 26 saves as the University of New Hampshire men's hockey team defeated UMass, 3-1, Saturday evening at the Whittemore Center.
Sophomore Liam Blackburn (Prince George, British Columbia), freshman Kohei Sato (Nishitokyo, Japan), and junior Marcus Vela (Burnaby, British Columbia) each scored for the Wildcats, while freshman Max Gildon (Plano, Texas) tallied two assists. Sato's goal was the first of his collegiate career.
NEXT UP: The Wildcats will return to the Whittemore Center on Friday and Saturday, Feb. 9-10, to take on Vermont at 7:00 p.m. on Coach Umile Weekend. On Friday, there will be 2,000 Coach Umile Replica Jersey T-Shirts given away, while Saturday 2,000 Coach Umile Bobbleheads will be given out at the game.
Score: New Hampshire 3 (10-13-5, 5-9-4 HEA), UMass 1 (11-16-1, 5-12-1 HEA)
Location: Durham, New Hampshire (Whittemore Center)
Date: Saturday, February 3, 2018
Time: 7:00 pm
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Blackburn put the Wildcats on the board only 2:35 into the game, tipping a shot from senior defenseman Richard Boyd (Delray Beach, Fla.) from right in front of UMass goaltender Ryan Wischow during the Wildcats' first power play of the night. Senior forward Jason Salvaggio (Hanson, Mass.) also tallied an assist on the goal.
- Sato increased the lead to 2-0 with his first career goal, a wraparound wrister from Wischow's left-hand side after sending a pass from Gildon 17:43 into the first period. Junior Frankie Cefalu (Buffalo, N.Y.) also grabbed an assist on the goal.
- UMass' Oliver Chau sent a pass from behind the net to Mitchell Chaffee as he fired a one-timer past Tirone 12:46 into the second frame to cut the New Hampshire lead to 2-1.
- Vela notched the Wildcats' second power play goal of the night 10:59 into the third period. Gildon tallied his second assist of the night with the insurance goal.
- The Minutemen looked to cut the deficit to 3-2 at 18:10 into the third period, but after video replay, the potential goal by Chaffee was overturned.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- UMass outshot the Wildcats, 27-17.
- Tirone posted 26 saves to Wischow's 14.
- New Hampshire went 2-5 on the power play while the Minutemen went 0-3.
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE
- New Hampshire swept the two-game regular season series against UMass, which also included a 3-0 victory in Amherst on November 4, 2017.
- The Wildcats have won four straight over the Minutemen and are 7-1-2 versus UMass over the last 10 games.