|1st||1:14||BC||1-0||EV||Caitrin Lonergan (6)||Kristyn Capizzano/2, Toni Ann Miano/5|
|1st||11:12||BC||2-0||EV GW||Ryan Little (1)||Caroline Ross/1, Erin Connolly/1|
|1st||19:06||BC||3-0||EV||Ryan Little (2)||Grace Bizal/6, Delaney Belinskas/1|
|3rd||8:00||BC||4-0||EV||Serena Sommerfield (1)||Haley McLean/2, Kenzie Kent/4|
|3rd||11:37||CON||1-4||PP||Theresa Knutson (5)||Jaime Fox/3, Leah Lum/2|
|3rd||18:17||BC||5-1||SH EN||Andie Anastos (5)||Kali Flanagan/5|
|Shots on Goal||1st||2nd||3rd||SOG|
|Team Stats and Records||PP||PIM||SHGF|
|Boston College (6-2-2)||0/5||4/8||1|
|Annie Belanger (L, 2-4-1)||59:32||4||10||14||8||32|
|Boston College Goaltending||MIN||GA||1||2||3||Saves|
|Gabriella Switaj (W, 1-0-0)||59:42||1||4||4||10||18|
CHESTNUT HILL, Mass. - Ryan Little scored two goals and three other players recorded their first career points as the No. 4 Boston College women's hockey team earned a 5-1 win over Connecticut on Saturday afternoon at Kelley Rink.
The Eagles staked themselves to a 3-0 lead after the first period, courtesy of freshman Caitrin Lonergan's sixth goal of the season and two from Little. After a scoreless second frame, BC pushed its lead to 4-0 on Serena Sommerfield's first-career goal, before UConn pulled one back on the power play from Theresa Knutson. Andie Anastos capped the scoring with a shorthanded empty-net goal at 18:17, her fourth goal of the weekend in the home-and-home series against the Huskies.
Caroline Ross and Erin Connolly also recorded assists on Little's first goal to each pick up their first career points as Eagles.
Gabri Switaj made 18 saves in goal in her first action of the season, while the Eagles forced Connecticut goalie Annie Belanger into 32 saves while out-shooting the Huskies 37-19.
Follow the #BCEagles all season at @bc_whockey on Twitter and Instagram.
No. 4 Boston College 5, Connecticut 1
Saturday, October 29, 2016
Kelley Rink at Conte Forum | Chestnut Hill, Mass.
- Ryan Little doubled her career goal total in today's game, notching her first and second goals of the season - and second and third of her career
- Three different players collected their first career points today: Serena Sommerfield (goal), Caroline Ross (assist) and Erin Connolly (assist)
- Caitrin Lonergan tallied her team-leading sixth goal of the season just 1:14 into the game
- Andie Anastos capped her weekend with her fourth goal in two games ... today's goal was a shorthanded strike after three power-play goals yesterday
HOW IT HAPPENED
1st, 1:14 | 1-0, BC GOAL - Toni Ann Miano played the puck across the Eagles' defensive zone to Kristyn Capizzano who pushed it wide to Caitrin Lonergan along the far boards. The freshman skated through the neutral zone and into the UConn end, cutting between a pair of defenders before she deked around Huskies goaltender Annie Belanger to put BC up 1-0.
1st, 11:12 | 2-0, BC GOAL - Ryan Little opened her scoring account this season with a low wrister to Belanger's glove side. Erin Connolly won the faceoff and drew it over to Caroline Ross on the boards, who then played it up and over the UConn defender at the blue line as Little skated on to it for the breakaway effort.
1st, 19:06 | 3-0, BC GOAL - After Delaney Belinskas sprinted into the UConn zone and swung around for a shot, her rebound kicked out to the left point where Grace Bizal sent a rising shot into the scrum in front. Little was positioned just off the crease and got her stick on the shot, re-directing it past Belanger for a 3-0 BC lead with under a minute remaining in the first.
3rd, 8:00 | 4-0, BC GOAL - With the Eagles cycling the puck, Kenzie Kent fed Haley McLean coming around the back of the next. McLean played a diagonal pass through traffic to Serena Sommerfield at the point, and she sent in a shot that kicked off a UConn defender in the slot and under Belanger to put BC up 4-0.
3rd, 11:37 | 4-1, UCONN GOAL (PPG) - Seconds after their power-play started, the Huskies worked the puck around and over to Theresa Knutson just off the far faceoff dot. She threw a hard-angle shot on target, and it deflected in past Gabri Switaj to get UConn on the board.
3rd, 18:17 | 5-1, BC GOAL (SHG, ENG) - With UConn on the power-play and skating 6-on-4 after pulling Belanger, Kali Flanagan intercepted a cross-ice pass and flipped it up and out of the zone to Andie Anastos along the near boards. Anastos picked up the puck, fought off a defender and got a shot off into the open net for her fourth goal of the weekend, this time a shorthanded strike to cap the game's scoring.
- Ryan Little scored her first two goals of the season ... she now has three career goals after potting one as a freshman in 2015-16
- Caitrin Lonergan netted her team-leading sixth goal of the season today ... she leads all freshmen nationally in goals following the conclusion of BC's game
- Serena Sommerfield recorded her first collegiate point on her third-period goal ... it came in her 37th career game
- Caroline Ross and Erin Connolly both also recorded their first collegiate points ... both combined to set up Little's first goal as Ross had the primary pass and Connolly the secondary assist
- Delaney Belinskas recorded her first collegiate assist today ... she entered the game tied with Lonergan for the team's goal lead (5), but had yet to be credited with an assist.
- Kristyn Capizzano notched her second assist of the season and her 49th of her career ... she pushed her career points total to 82
- Toni Ann Miano collected her fifth assist of the season and the 35th of her career ... she now has 49 career points
- Grace Bizal picked up her sixth assist of the season in today's game, the Eagles' 10th of the season ... through 10 games, she has already collected more than half of her 2015-16 season total (11) from 41 games
- Haley McLean recorded an assist on Sommerfield's goal, her second helper of the campaign ... it was her 13th career assist
- Kenzie Kent also picked up an assist on Sommerfield's goal, her fourth assist of the season and her 63rd of her career ... she is 11 back of the Eagles' career assist top 10
- Kali Flanagan notched her fifth assist of the season, and the 29th of her career ...it was her first point in four games ... she now has 38 career points
- Gabri Switaj made her season debut today, making the start in goal ... it was her seventh career start and her first since Jan. 23, 2016 against Vermont ... Katie Burt had started the Eagles' first nine games of the year
- For the second-straight game, the Eagles were without All-America defenseman Megan Keller, who departed on Friday to meet up with the U.S. National Team for the Four Nations Cup, which is being played in Finland, Nov. 1-5 ... Keller is one of three collegians on the roster and the team's youngest player at the tournament
- The Eagles were held scoreless on the power play, going 0-for-5 one night after going 3-for-5 on Friday in Storrs ... BC entered the game as the nation's leader on the man-advantage ... this is just the second game in 10 this season that BC has been unable to convert on the power-play
- BC notched its second shorthanded goal of the season tonight through Anastos ... it was her fourth career shorthanded goal and her first since Nov. 22, 2014 - against Connecticut her sophomore season
- The Eagles extended their home unbeaten streak to 56 games (54-0-2) dating back to Oct. 19, 2013
- Today marked the seventh time in the last eight games that BC has held an opponent to one goal or fewer
Connecticut (4-4-1, 0-2-0 HEA)
Boston College (6-2-2, 5-1-0 HEA)
Boston College returns to the ice next Friday, Nov. 4, when the team hosts the first game in the team's home-and-home series against Boston University. Friday's faceoff is set for 7 p.m. at Kelley Rink, and will be follow on Saturday by a 3 p.m. faceoff at the Terriers' Walter Brown Arena in Boston.