Freshman goaltender Clay Witt makes 41 saves for Huskies

Senior defenseman Mike Hewkin picked up a goal for the Huskies

BOSTON, Mass. - The No. 13 Boston University men's ice hockey team closed out its regular season on Saturday evening with a 4-3 loss to Northeastern at Agganis Arena. The Terriers held a 2-1 lead after the first period, but allowed the Huskies to reel off three straight tallies and fell to 18-10-8 overall and 15-6-6 in league play.

The Terriers finished third in the Hockey East standings and will face Northeastern again in next weekend's best-of-three league quarterfinals at Agganis Arena.

The Huskies (12-14-8, 10-10-7) tied the game at 2-2 late in the second period on a goal by Drew Daniels before taking a 4-2 lead with goals 61 seconds apart in the third from Mike Hewkin and Steve Silva.

BU attempted to mount a third-period comeback when it got within one on a tally by junior Kevin Gilroy with 2:50 left in regulation. The Huskies hung on, however, to end the Terriers' 10-game unbeaten streak (8-0-2) in Hockey East play.

Freshman Clay Witt turned in a 41-save performance in goal for Northeastern while junior Kieran Millan stopped 30 shots for the Terriers.

BU went 2-for-7 on the power play and held the visitors scoreless on their eight chances with the man advantage.

The Terriers opened the scoring on a power play just 4:08 into the contest when sophomore Max Nicastro converted from the top of the left circle.

Northeastern's Randy Guzior made it a 1-1 contest with his first goal of the year at 15:44 of the first, but the Terriers used another power play to regain the lead before the first intermission. Junior Chris Connolly potted his 10th goal of the year with assists from freshman Charlie Coyle and sophomore Wade Megan at 17:13 give the advantage back to the home squad.

The Huskies started their decisive three-goal run when Daniels scored the lone tally of the second with just 1:10 left in the period.

Hewkin's first goal of the year was the go-ahead tally, as his shot from the top of the BU zone went off a Terrier defender before eluding Millan.

Silva doubled the Huskies' lead at 4-2 when he tipped in a pass from Tyler McNeely at the left post.

Gilroy's marker came off a scramble in front of the net, as the junior forward was able to get just enough of his stick on the puck to have it trickle past Witt.

The Terriers pulled Millan with over 80 seconds left in regulation and generated a handful of scoring chances with the extra attacker before allowing the Huskies to clear the puck late and close out the game.