Northeastern Shut Out By Colgate, 3-0

Sophomore goaltender Derick Roy made 38 saves for the Huskies
Prd Time  Team Score Type Scored By Assists
2nd 1:55  CLG1-0 EV GW Derek Freeman (1)Tim Harrison/1, Andrew Black/3
3rd 0:53  CLG2-0 EV Mike Borkowski (1)Joe Wilson/2, Darcy Murphy/1
3rd 17:07  CLG3-0 PP Kyle Baun (3)Mike Borkowski/2, Tyson Spink/3
Scoring 1st 2nd 3rd Final
Northeastern  0000
Colgate  0123
Shots on Goal 1st 2nd 3rd SOG
Northeastern  6121028
Colgate  12101941
Team Stats and Records  PP PIM SHGF
Northeastern (0-3-0)  0/4 7/25 0
Colgate (3-1-0)  1/6 4/8 0
Northeastern Goaltending MIN GA 1 2 3 Saves
Derick Roy (L, 0-1-0)60:003 1291738
Colgate Goaltending MIN GA 1 2 3 Saves
Charlie Finn (W, 3-1-0)60:000 6121028

HAMILTON, N.Y. - Despite a career-high 38 saves from sophomore goaltender Derick Roy, the Northeastern men's ice hockey team (0-3-0) could not break Colgate netminder Charlie Finn (28 saves) as the No. 6/4 Raiders shutout the Huskies for the second straight game, 3-0, on Saturday night at Starr Rink.

Colgate carried a 1-0 lead into the third period before firing 19 shots at Roy and the NU defense during the final 20 minutes of play, adding two insurance markers. The Raiders, who received goals from three different scorers, outshot the Huskies 41-28 in the game and went 1-of-6 on the power play while holding Northeastern to an 0-of-4 showing on the man advantage.

The teams traded chances as the puck flew up and down the ice during an up-tempo and hard hitting first period, with Colgate holding a 12-6 edge in shots on goal during the opening 20 minutes. Northeastern staved off a five-minute penalty kill after Zach Aston-Reese was issued a hitting from behind and a game misconduct just seven minutes into the contest.

Dalen Hedges and Mike McMurtry teamed up to give the Huskies their first scoring opportunity of the evening when McMurtry found Hedges on the doorstep, but Hedges couldn't elevate the puck and Finn came up with the pad save.

During the extended penalty kill midway through the frame, NU held the Raiders to four shots in the five-minute power play while keeping the Colgate chances to the perimeter of the ice. Roy came up big when the Raiders tried to collapse in on goal, however, and denied Kyle Baun near the left post early in the penalty kill. As the Colgate power play came to an end, Northeastern almost potted a shorthanded tally as Nolan Stevens flew in on goal for a low shot on goal that Finn stopped, leaving the puck sitting alone in the crease. John Stevens then came crashing in on the net in search of the rebound, but Finn recovered just in time to make the second stop.

Both netminders saw lots of shots during the second period, but it was Colgate that drew first blood less than two minutes into the frame to take a 1-0 lead through 40 minutes of play. After the Huskies couldn't clear the puck out of the defensive zone, Andrew Black stole the puck and fed Tim Harrison for a shot that Roy steered aside. Derek Freeman, however, followed the rebound and buried it for his first of the year.

Penalties took over the tilt following the Freeman tally as both squads picked up three minor infractions. Hedges had an opportunity late in the period when he picked the pocket of a Raider defender behind the Colgate goal. Hedges then tried to find Mike Szmatula in front, but he was covered by a defender, leaving Hedges to fire a shot up high that Finn got a shoulder on.

The Raiders took a two-goal advantage just 53 seconds into the third period when Mike Borkowski hammered home a rebound off a shot from Joe Wilson on the left side. Roy stopped the first shot with his pad, but the rebound popped right onto the stick of Borkowski who finished off the play. Adam Reid just his best to help the Huskies cut into the Colgate lead after the Borkowski tally with his hard work in the defensive zone, which led to opportunities down ice, but NU could not solve Finn.

John Stevens had a shorthanded chance with less than seven minutes to play, but Finn was up to the test again to stone the sophomore center before the Raiders tacked on a power play goal from Baun with 2:53 left in the game.

The Huskies will return home next week to host Massachusetts in Hockey East action at Matthews Arena. Puck drop is slated for 7 p.m.