PROVIDENCE, R.I. - Playing with just 15 skaters, the Boston University men's ice hockey team earned a 5-1 win at Brown on Friday afternoon at Meehan Auditorium.
Sophomore Luke Tuch scored twice in the first period to give BU (7-9-3) a 2-0 lead that it never relinquished. Junior Jay O'Brien assisted on both of Tuch's goals while graduate student Max Kaufman and junior Alex Vlasic each tallied a goal and an assist. Junior Sam Stevens also lit the lamp for the Terriers while classmate Jamie Armstrong had a helper.
Sophomore Vinny Duplessis made 11 saves to earn his first win of the year and extend the Terriers' unbeaten streak to four games. Despite dressing the minimum number of players, BU was dominant throughout the game, outshooting Brown, 30-12.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Tuch opened the scoring just 2:33 into the proceedings. When O'Brien picked off a pass in the defensive zone, Tuch read the situation perfectly and took off for center ice. O'Brien hit Tuch in stride, and the sophomore raced in alone on Luke Kania before wristing a shot past the net minder for his first goal of the season.
- Duplessis kept the Bears off the board with a terrific glove save at the 7:15 mark of the period, as he sprawled to his left to deny a rebound opportunity.
- Tuch gave BU a 2-0 lead at the 13:23 mark of the first period. O'Brien collected the puck in his own zone and sent an outlet pass to Kaufman. The grad student skated to the right circle before backhanding a puck to Tuch, who had skated to the front of the net. Tuch made no mistake for his second strike of the day.
- Stevens extended the lead to 3-0 at 5:02 of the second stanza. Stevens won an offensive-zone faceoff back to Armstrong, who quickly pushed it to Vlasic at the left point. Vlasic fired a shot on goal, and Stevens was able to redirect it past Kania for his third goal of the season.
- Brown got on the board just 21 seconds into the third period, but that was one of just three shots the Bears mustered over the final 20 minutes as the Terriers did well to manage the remainder of the contest.
- Kaufman and Vlasic each scored empty-netters from their own zone to ice the game.
- Senior captain Logan Cockerill and sophomore Dylan Peterson, both forwards, played as defensemen on Friday as the Terriers only had four available blue liners.
- Tuch and Vlasic became the 15th and 16th Terriers to score a goal this season with their markers on Friday.
- Kaufman extended his goal scoring streak to four games; he has tallied five goals during that stretch, with four of them coming in either the third period or overtime.
- The Terriers have killed off 16 straight penalties dating back to Nov. 27; they were 5-for-5 on the penalty kill against Brown.
- This was the Terriers' first trip to Meehan Auditorium since earning a 2-1 win over Brown on Dec. 8, 1993.
- BU will host Arizona State for a weekend series at Agganis Arena on Jan. 7 and 8.