PROVIDENCE, R.I. - The Providence College women's ice hockey team defeated Vermont, 3-1, on Friday, Dec. 31 in Schneider Arena. Sara Hjalmarsson (Bankeryd, Sweden) scored twice for the Friars in the second period and Lily Martinson (Allen, Texas) netted her first collegiate goal in the third.
Providence- 3 | Vermont- 1
Providence - 8-5-5 (5-4-2 HE) | Vermont 9-8-2 (6-5-1 HE)
Schneider Arena - Providence, R.I.
GAME FLOW & NOTES
- Both teams skated through the opening period scoreless.
- Vermont got on the board first with a goal from Evelyne Blais-Savoie at the 9:28 mark of the second period, for a 1-0 lead.
- Sara Hjalmarsson (Bankeryd, Sweden) evened things out, 1-1, just 2:12 later (11:40) with a short-handed breakaway goal after Lindsay Bochna (Toronto, Ontario) was whistled for a check. Hjalmarsson was unassisted.
- Providence took the lead, 2-1, at 14:36 with a top-shelf goal from Hjalmarsson, which served as the game-winner. On her second goal of the night and fifth of the season, Hjalmarsson was assisted by Lily Hendrikson (Edina, Minn.) and Isabelle Hardy (Oakville, Ontario).
- Lily Martinson (Allen, Texas) scored her first career goal as a Friar 4:38 into the third, for a 3-1 Friars lead. Martinson was assisted by Caroline Peterson (East Falmouth, Mass.) and Lindsay Bochna (Toronto, Ontario).
- Sandra Abstreiter (Freising, Germany) made 39 saves, including 17 in the opening period alone.
Power plays: 0/2
Penalty kill: 4/4
Power plays: 0/4
Penalty kill: 2/2
Providence will return Sunday, Jan. 2 in Worcester, Mass. as they take on the Holy Cross Crusaders. Puck drop is scheduled for 4:30 p.m.