PROVIDENCE, R.I. - Riley Duran (Woburn, Mass.) and Cody Monds (Brockville, Ont.) each recorded two points at the Providence College men's hockey team opened the 2022-23 season with a 5-2 exhibition win over the University of Western Ontario on Saturday (Oct. 1) at Schneider Arena.
Providence - 5 | Western Ontario - 2
Schneider Arena - Providence, R.I.
Austin Roden (PC) - 29 saves
Dylan Myskiw (UWO) - 49 saves
- The teams skated through the opening 20 minutes scoreless as the Friars controlled the play with an 18-7 shot advantage.
- Western Ontario opened the scoring on a goal from Sean Montgomery during an odd-man rush.
- Uula Ruikka tied the game for the Friars at 5:01 of the second period off a one-timer from a Cody Monds pass.
- Duran gave Providence a 2-1 lead just over five minutes later after tic-tac-toe passing from Austen May and Monds, who fed Duran for a tap-in at the near post.
- Cam McDonald extended the lead to 3-1 with a wrister from the point through traffic. Jaroslav Chmelar and Chase Yoder earned the assists.
- Montgomery and the Mustangs trimmed the lead to 3-2 late in the second period.
- At 7:13 of the third period. Michael Citara finished off a backhand shot off a faceoff win from Craig Needham to make it a 4-2 game.
- Parker Ford capped the scoring with a shorthanded, empty-net goal at 19:17.
- Providence outshot the Mustangs by a 54-31 advantage.
- Ford and Brett Berard had a game-high seven shots on goal each.
PC GAME HIGHS
Goals: Ruikka, Duran, McDonald, Citara, Ford (1)
Assists: Monds (2)
Points: Duran, Monds (2)
Shots: Brett Berard, Ford (7)
Providence - 1/5
Western Ontario - 1/3
Providence - 54
Western Ontario - 31